What was the New York Yankees insignia originally designed for?
A fireman sent in the idea of the insignia to the owner, and initially he rejected it but the fireman died on his job and the owner used the insignia as a memorial.
Throughout much of their tenure as the Highlanders, the logo was variations of a stylized N and Y, which lay separately on either side of the jersey's breast. In 1905, the two locked for one season, but not in the way used today. It wasn't until 1909 that the team changed to the familiar interlocking NY (originally designed by Tiffany & Co. in 1877, an insignia that would become the famous New York Yankees "NY"…
The Yankees interlocking 'NY' was originally designed by artist Louis B. Tiffany in 1877 for a medal to honor the first New York City police officer shot in the line of duty. It was later adopted by the New York Highlanders baseball club in 1909. The Yankees removed the 'NY' monogram from the Yankees jersey in 1917 and went with pinstripes only. The interlocking 'NY' was not brought back until 1936.