no, rubies and emeralds and even sapphires can scratch glass. i found Pirates Fools Gold Iron Pyrite can also scratch glass.
Diamonds are formed from carbon, with the inclusion of trace minerals -- in gemstone diamonds. Only about 20% of all diamonds mined are gemstones. Industrial diamonds are also formed from carbon, but their structure is not as consistent as those found in gemstones.
Generally, you can find the shiniest diamonds at the jewelery store, because only 20% of all diamonds mined are gemstones..
These diamonds are industrial diamonds. About 80% of all diamonds mined are classified as industrial diamonds, leaving only about 20% to be graded as gemstones.
Diamonds can only be scratched by other diamonds. Diamond is the hardest natural mineral.
No, diamonds are not the only stones that can cut glass. Any stone that is harder then 5.5 on the Moh's hardness scale can cut glass.
pyrite can scratch glass only
No. Only another diamond can scratch a diamond.
No. A diamond can still be scratched by another diamond.
Jewelry can contain diamonds. Diamonds are also used as drilling or cutting tools. In fact, about 75% of all diamonds mined are used by industry leaving only 25% as viable gemstones.
You can review the link below to view images of raw diamonds. Remember, about 80% of all diamonds mined are industrial diamonds and only 20% qualify as potential gemstones.
No, emeralds are not hard enough to cut glass. Diamonds cut glass and they are the only gemstone with this capability.
Diamond is the hardest mineral known. About 75% of diamonds mined are used by industry and only 25% qualify as gemstones. Gemstones are measured according to their clarity, colour, cut and carat weight.
Sinthetic diamonds are made only from carbon.False diamonds (not synthetic) are made from glass, zirconium dioxide, silicon carbide.
apatite can not scratch glass. it is considered number 5 1/2 on the Mohs Scale Of Hardness. Apatite is number 5 on the scale and can only scratch itself and all of the minerals lower on the scale.
In the realm of diamond gemstones -- only 20% of all diamonds mined, there are several places you can look for the answer you want:Types of diamonds is an entire category unto itself.Colours of diamonds is a separate category.Then there's another category of colours of 'white' diamonds.You can read more about each category, below.
A diamond has a hardness of 10 on a scale of 10 known as Mohs Hardness Scale. A diamond can scratch any other mineral. It isn't the only mineral that can scratch glass thou, quartz, corundum,garnet, among others
Cut and faceted gemstone diamonds reflect the light, which some call shiny. Raw diamonds are dull rocks. Only 20% are sorted out for processing as gemstones and are cut, graded, and polished into valuable gems. Eighty percent are industrial diamonds that are used to enhance precision tools.
Innumerable, really. Eighty percent of all diamonds mined are industrial diamonds, with a separate classification for valuation, including colour. Only 20% of all diamonds a gemstones, with a named colour. That said, because diamonds are natural, there are as many colours as Mother Nature provides. You can review the chart for 'white' diamond colour, below. As well, you can read the names of 27 types of coloured diamonds, below.
Not all diamonds are equally hard, remember Mohs scale is only that - a scale. Depending on the perfection of the crystal, diamonds may be harder or softer - but are all considered 10 on Mohs scale. The hardest diamonds come from a small region on New South Wales in Australia, and these are more useful for polishing of other diamonds.
Seventy-five percent of diamonds mined are used in industry, for cutting tools, and for polishing. Only twenty-five percent of all diamonds mined are used in gemstone production. As a commodity, then, diamonds fit into the same use categories as any other natural resource. You could say that gemstones are a by-product of diamond mining.
Diamonds are actually the strongest material, but you can also break it by burning it. Try it and you will see that a hard diamond has turned into many shattered pieces. If you rub it other diamonds, it will only make a little scratch!
Comparatively, they are rare. Only one in 200 geographic areas where indicator minerals show the potential presence of diamonds actually contain diamonds. Eighty percent of all diamonds mined are not gem quality, but are industrial diamonds. The remaining twenty percent of diamonds mined have the potential to be gems, but must be sorted, cut and polished to become gemstones. Then, those that are coloured, flawless and large become the multi-million dollar objects you read about in the news.
The difference between Diamond and Glass is that, Glass is softer than the diamond. A diamond can easily scratch the glass. Glass is an inorganic product of fusion which has been cooled through the glass transition to a rigid condition without crystallizing. The reason why diamonds are more expensive is : Actually, diamond has many unequaled qualities. It is the hardest known substance, it is the greatest conductor of heat, it has the highest melting point of any substance (7362° F - 4090° C), and has the highest refractive index of any natural mineral. Diamond is number 10 on the Mohs scale, and is 40 times harder than Corundum, which is number 9 on the Moh's scale (and the next hardest natural substance). It also has the most dense atomical configuration of any minerals, and is transparent over the greatest number of wavelengths. Because of heat conduction, Diamonds are cold to the feel at or below room temperature. When heated, a Diamond will remain hot long after the heat source is removed. The luster of Diamonds is excellent. Diamond exhibits great "fire", or brilliance, which gives it a shiny, freshly polished look. Rough Diamonds exhibit a greasy luster, but proper cutting give them a powerful adamantine luster. Only synthetic substances and a few minor gemstones can reach or excel the refractive index of Diamonds.
Diamonds are most useful in industrial applications, usually based on the mineral's supreme hardness. Transparency is one of the characteristics of gem-quality diamonds, which represent only 20% of all diamonds mined. From Wikipedia: "Specific gravity is the ratio of the density of a substance compared to the density (mass of the same unit volume) of a reference substance." You can read more about the specific gravity of gemstones, below. It explains how specific gravity is used to identify gemstones.
From the Minerals site, below: "The luster of Diamond is excellent. Diamond exhibits great fire and brilliance, which gives it a shiny, freshly polished look. Rough Diamonds exhibit a greasy luster, but proper cutting give them a powerful adamantine luster. "Only synthetic substances and a few minor gemstones can reach or excel the refractive index of Diamonds."