Child Support
Emancipation and Ages for Moving Out

Can an aunt get custody of a minor child in Florida?



User Avatar
Wiki User

It might be possible if the court decides that the parents of the minor are unfit to properly care for the child. Before a guardianship petition would be accepted from any adult concerning custody of a minor the minor's parents would have to voluntarily relinquish their rights or the court would have to permanently terminate the rights the parents to the minor child. In some cases a minor is placed in the home of a relative temporarily while an investigation is completed by child protective services or while the judge is deciding what action if any should be taken in regards to the minor child's welfare.