Divorce and Marriage Law
Child Support

Does a man still have to pay child support if he gives up his parental rights in the state of NEW YORK?

User Avatar
Wiki User
2008-05-19 06:26:41

A parent cannot just 'give up' their parental rights (which is a

different thing than custodial/visitation rights). Termination of

parental rights has to be approved by a judge. Generally speaking,

judges are very reluctant to approve it unless it's for the purpose

of adoption or the parent presents a clear danger to the child.

They certainly will not approve it merely so the parent can avoid

paying child support. If that were allowed, people would be lined

up to do it, and then a big portion of those children would end up

having to be supported by the taxpayers.

Copyright © 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.