Is cramping an early sign of pregnancy?
Yes, cramping *without bleeding* can be an early sign of pregnancy. Below, several women tell their personal experience with cramping and pregnancy:
- Cramping can be a sign of implantation, which occurs very early in pregnancy. Also, your uterus gets crampy as things start growing! If your period is late, it's time to test.
- Yes, cramping can be a normal sign of pregnancy. I asked my doctor about it and he said it is the body's way of preparing for the baby.
- It could be. I was sure I would get my period since I was cramping a lot, but all the cramping was because my uterus was preparing for the baby.
- I'm about 6 weeks pregnant with my second child and have just started experiencing some cramping that seems to come and go, but no bleeding whatsoever. My doctor says cramping in early pregnancy (unless accompanied by other symptoms like bleeding, fever, etc.) is completely normal.
- I am six weeks pregnant. I have been having period like cramping for the last 2 weeks. I thought I was going to have my period, but instead I found out that I am pregnant. Don't worry unless the cramping is accompanied by bleeding.
- Last month on cycle day 27, I took a pregnancy test and it was a very faint positive. Then several tests after that one were negative. Then I began to feel cramps like my period was coming, only lighter in intensity and of less duration, but my period didn't come until 2 weeks later and was heavy with clots. My doctor said that I had a chemical pregnancy - which is basically an early miscarriage, happens in up to 50% of pregnancies, most women don't even know they were pregnant. So while cramping could be a sign of pregnancy, it can also be a sign of your menstrual cycles following an early miscarriage.
- I am in my first-trimester and cramping as we speak. For about 2 weeks before AF was due, I was experiencing abdominal cramps and discomfort. I think I ran to the bathroom tampon in hand for a week. My normally regular period never showed. I took a EPT and to my excitement, these cramps are just my little one making room.
- I had cramping as if my period was going to start for a week. I was due for a period on May 3. I decided to take a pregnancy test on April 30th and to my surprise it was positive. So cramping could be a sign of pregnancy.
- It seems that cramping in a lot of cases is normal but in my case it wasn't. Both times I have been pregnant I had cramping similar to my period. I took HPT that came out positive but when I went to the doctor my bloodwork was not normal and I had miscarriages both times around weeks 7-8. So while cramping can be perfectly normal, sometimes it isn't. Go to the doctor and have them do a blood test so you can have peace of mind.
- I have a four year old and with my pregnancy with him I had pretty severe cramping from about the week before I found out I was pregnant until I was about 6-8 weeks pregnant and everything was perfectly normal. So try not to stress about it too bad. I worried myself sick and everything was fine.
- Go to your doctor and get a blood test to make sure everything is perfectly fine, but cramping is probably just your body making room for your child.
- I had bad cramping with this pregnancy (my second, first was a miscarriage) until I was almost 10 weeks. My OBGYN said he never worries about cramping unless you are also having spotting and/or bleeding. He said in most cases cramping is a very normal sign of pregnancy. I am now 15 weeks pregnant and everything is fine.
- I just found out I was pregnant today. I was expecting my period 2 weeks ago. I had period-like cramps and the whole time and I had a pad on but nothing. So today my husband and I decided to get a home pregnancy test and it came out positive. So cramps but no bleeding is perfectly fine.
- Yes - it certainly does. I thought I was getting my period, cramping and lower back ache for a few days. Just done a test and it's positive!
- I told my husband for over a week that I would be starting my period that day because I was having cramping just like I would for my periods, now my pregnancy test is positive, with the cramping! Who would have thought that cramping could be a good thing?