Cold and Flu
Oral Health and Dental Care
Swine Flu (H1N1/09)

Is the pus from an abscessed tooth harmful if ingested?

242526

Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2005-12-29 04:52:44
2005-12-29 04:52:44

Pus is toxic, so yeah. You won't die from it necessarily (*I am not a doctor*) but it CAN make you sick. Think of when you have a sinus infection or post nasal drip. Usually that is ingested and can make you sick as well. ~ T

1
๐Ÿ™
0
๐Ÿคจ
0
๐Ÿ˜ฎ
0
๐Ÿ˜‚
0

Related Questions

User Avatar

"The tooth was causing pain because it was abscessed." An abscess is a collection of pus in some area of the body, usually accompanied by pain and inflammation.

User Avatar

Abscessed tooth is clearly a type of infection in the mouth. It forms a collection of puss ( a concoction of dead tissue, live and dead bacteria, or white blood cells) which is Infection results in a collection of pus (dead tissue, live and dead bacteria, white blood cells) which is accompanied by swelling of the tissues within the tooth. This causes a painful toothache. The pain is normal when the body is dealing with an infection; it's a type of mechanism that tells us that something is wrong with our body. In this case, toothaches occur when someone has an abscessed tooth.

User Avatar

It means a swollen area between body tissue that has accumulated pus.

User Avatar

Yes. I had an abcessed tooth for about a year and I did not know it. My blood pressure was really weird during that time, as soon as I went on antibiotics and then had a root canal done, my blood pressure went back to normal. I also had a cousin who had a tooth abscessed and she did not know it. Well she died and they did an autopsy on her because they did not know her cause of death and they found pus in her heart cavity leading down from where the tooth was.

User Avatar

When a tooth's nerve tissue or pulp is damaged, it breaks down and bacteria begin to multiply within the pulp chamber. The bacteria and other decayed debris can cause an infection or abscessed tooth. An abscess is a pus-filled pocket that forms at the end of the roots of the tooth. An abscess occurs when the infection spreads all the way past the ends of the roots of the tooth.

User Avatar

No Tell your dentist you might have an infection

User Avatar

Flu or cold are viral diseases. They spread from person infected to the next person. Pus from tooth infection has nothing to do with cold and flu.

User Avatar

A hole in the tooth or gum tissue filled with pus as the result of infection.

User Avatar

No, that's a sign of infection. Go back to your dentist and get some antibiotics.

User Avatar

yes, because having too many pus cells in the urine means you have a bladder infection which can be harmful to the baby and may lead to premature contraction if not treated right away.

User Avatar

I currently have an abscessed tooth. I had horrible pains, so bad I almost went to the hospital. It almost felt like a serious migrane, the next day the pain was more concentrated to my back tooth. there was minor swelling around the tooth and my lymph gland was sore to the touch. Go to the dentist because the pain will go away and then come back even stronger in a few days. Good luck with it!!! A tooth abscess or root abscess is pus enclosed in the tissues of the jaw bone at the tip of an infected tooth. Usually the abscess originates from a bacterial infection that has accumulated in the soft pulp of the tooth. Abscesses typically originate from dead pulp tissue, usually caused by untreated tooth decay, cracked teeth or extensive periodontal disease. A failed root canal treatment may also create a similar abscess. It may also develop from bacteria entering a tooth filling and multiplying. The pain is the body detecting that the microorganisms are present. A pus taste may also develop. There are three types of dental abscess. A gingival abscess that involves only the gum tissue, without affecting either the tooth or the periodontal ligament. A periapical abscess starts in the dental pulp. A periodontal abscess begins in the supporting bone and tissue structures of the teeth. (Wikipedia)

User Avatar

Take a sip of mouthwash and swill it around the mouth. Press against the abscess with a sterile pad until the pus is released. Spit out and rinse with mouthwash. Once the pus has been released the pain should go away! Continue to the end of the antibiotic treatment. Revisit the dentist.

User Avatar

If your lip piercing has abscessed, your first point of call should be a doctor. An abscessed piercing is a build up of pus and infected material which has been trapped under healed skin, and so it will need to be drained. Do not remove your jewellery unless you have spoken to a doctor and he has recommended it, because your piercing may not have abscessed. (It is very easy to assume that your piercing has abscessed when in fact it is just infected or healing in an unusual way.) You may wish to speak to your piercer also, unless you pierced yourself, which I would recommend against doing again.Speak to a doctorDo not remove the jewellery or attempt to drain it yourselfTalk to your piercer if you're unsure.

User Avatar

This sounds like an abscess. These can be very painful and you could be in danger of losing your tooth. It would be a good idea to visit your dentist ASAP.

User Avatar

Abscesses of the teeth occur because the tooth has become non vital, ie it has died from either a traumatic accident or decay or a leaky filling with decay underneath. This causes dead material in the tooth to leak out throught the apical foramen (the point of the tooth that sits in the bone and is where the blood vessels and nerves of the pulp enter and leave the tooth). This causes inflammation within the boney socket that holds the tooth and leads to a collection of pus. This pus collects in the socket and causes formation of an abscess. If the infected material is not removed, it has to spread somewhere so it moves along the easiest path it can find. In some cases it moves along the tissue layers of the face amd into the space below the chin and jaw. This is known as cellulitis. When the infection spreads into the floor of the mouth compromising the airway and this can lead to trouble breathing and is a serious life threatening risk. As for back pain I dont know but you need to get this checked out ASAP.

User Avatar

Go to the emergency room! You have an abscessed tooth, it sounds like, and this can be very dangerous, as the nerve channels can conduct the infection to the brain, causing death. It is time to visit the ER. First wash out your mouth well with warm salted water to cleanse the abcess as much as possible. The doctor on staff will probably put you on a bout of antibiotics.

User Avatar

Its not a poison, an abscess is a bacterial infection. The cavity in the tooth fills with a white fluid called pusthat is a mixture of bacteria and white blood cells that are trying to kill the bacteria. This pus builds up pressure and can eventually pop the tooth out if left untreated.You can also get abscesses in bone if it becomes infected.

User Avatar

PYORRHEA IS A discharge of pus (short simple answer). Commonly, when we talk about "pyorrhea", we are refering to a dental disease. In it's advanced form, there will be a formation of pus between the bottom (roots) of the tooth and the gums around it. Many times it will cause the loosening of the tooth also. Anyone who thinks that they may have it, or starting to have it, should see their dentist ASAP!

User Avatar

a tooth becomes diseased or injured, bacteria build up inside the pulp, spreading infection from the natural crown of the tooth to the root tips in the jawbone. Pus accumulates at the ends of the roots, forming a painful abscess which can damage the bone

User Avatar

Pain and swelling are two obvious symptoms.Abscess can also cause fever, and if the swelling is large you'll feel discomfort while opening your mouth. Also sometimes the pain is felt only when you apply pressure on the spot where abscess has formed.There is sometimes a bump filled with pus beside the tooth in question.The pain may also radiate into the ear.See your dentist right away if you suspect an abscess, because infection can lead to bone loss.(see the related video link)

User Avatar

pus pus on toast or a roast pus pus on toast or a roast

User Avatar

Nothing will happen really. But you will feel nauseated because it tastes and smell bad.

User Avatar

You should have had the crown replaced and that lovely little pus is a sign of infection which means they are probably going to have to pull the tooth or perform another root canal.


Copyright ยฉ 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.