Asked in Chemistry
Do toxic chemicals help bacteria to grow?
The question is toxic to what. Not all chemicals which are toxic to humans are toxic to bacteria, and some chemicals which are toxic to bacteria are harmless to humans (which is why we can have antibiotics). There are chemicals (like Hydrogen Sulfide) which are very toxic to mammals that SOME bacteria eat as food. But there are other chemicals like chlorine which are toxic to both humans and bacteria. So the question does not have a simple answer. ...
Asked in Microbiology
What are one-celled microorganisms that live in pond water are called?
bacteria......harmless under a microscope but if i let it loose....MWHAHAHAHHA ...
Asked in Pollution
Why are pollutants in the sea not made harmless by dilution?
Pollutants in the sea are not made harmless by dilution because large bodies of water have the capacity to dilute and disperse wastes :) Hope that helps you out! ...
Asked in Bacteria
Fermented by harmless bacteria added after pasteurization?
Yogurt and buttermilk are fermented by a harmless bacteria added after pasteurization to prolong their shelf lives. ...
Asked in Microbiology, Genetics
Explain how the bacteria in griffiths experiment were transformed?
The harmless living bacteria took in pneumonia-causing DNA(genes) from the heat-killed, pneumonia-causing bacteria, as a result of which the harmless bacteria changed into bacteria that cause pneumonia. ...
Asked in Science
What are two uses of microorganisms?
the microorganisms can be harmful and harmless. the harmless microorganism serve a lot of use to both plants and animals. the rizobium bacteria present in the root nodules of legumes fixes atmospheric nitrogen. the lactobacillus is used in the curdling of milk. yeast is commercially used for fermentation. some of the microorganism decay the dead material. some like spirulina are used as food supplements by astronomers. ...
Asked in Health, Biology, Microbiology
The harmful effects of microorganisms?
Typically, we can tolerate microorganisms, depending on the type. We have quite a few different bugs in our intestine, on our skin and in our mouths, and for the most part they do no significant harm. However, many bacteria and fungi grow a colony on a food source and produce a toxin to prevent other microorganisms from growing. Botulism food poisoning isn't actually caused by the bacteria, it's the toxin that the bacteria produces to "protect its turf." The bacteria is quite harmless...
Are all microorganisms on your skin bad?
"Although you might not like to think about it, millions of microorganisms, including bacteria, are living on the surface of your skin. Most of the time they are harmless, but, if you get a cut or even an insect bite everyday bacteria may take the opportunity to slip under the skin and cause an infection." source: http://www.healthology.com/skin-problems/skin-problems-information/article1216.htm ...
Asked in Waste and Recycling
What is biodegradable and non biodegradable materials?
Biodegradable pollutants: Those pollutants which can be broken down into simpler, harmless, substances in nature in due course of time (by the action of micro-organisms like certain bacteria) are called biodegradable pollutants. Domestic wastes (garbage), urine, faecal matter, sewage, agriculture residues, paper, wood, cloth, cattle dung, animal bones, leather, wool, vegetable stuff or plants are biodegradable pollutants Non Biodegradable Materials: Those pollutants which cannot be broken down into simpler, harmless substances in nature, are called non-biodegradable pollutants. DDT, plastics, polythene, bags, insecticides, pesticides, mercury, lead, arsenic, metal...
Asked in Microbiology
Is it true that pathogenic bacteria out number helpful bacteria?
Yes, but most are weak and almost harmless.
Asked in Biology
What are the benefits of microorganisms?
There are 3 main types of micro-organism, fungi, bacteria and viruses. The most useful is perhaps fungi, the most well known being penicillin which is basically mould! And of course there are many types of harmless bacteria (as well as the more nasty types)which are involved in keeping us healthy. ...
Asked in Human Anatomy and Physiology
What makes some bacteria deadly and others harmless?
Bacteria can be deadly because it uses you body as a host.
Asked in Animal Life
Is it true that 99 percent of bacteria is helpful?
No. 70% of bacteria is harmless, whilst the other 30% is harmful.