Asked in
Auto Insurance Claims

What are your options when your financed car was totaled and you are not at fault but your insurance isn't offering you enough money to pay off the loan?


User Avatar
Wiki User
October 07, 2005 2:14AM

This is not an uncommon occurrence. You might be stuck with a loan balance on a car that you can't drive. The next time you finance a car with little or no down payment you might consider getting "gap" insurance to cover the difference between the vehicles "actual cash value" and the amount you owe on it. This is an especially big problem when dealers offer to "pay off your trade no matter what you owe" when buying a new car from them. You can try to make your case by getting evidence that the car was really worth more than what the insurance company is offering or you can get a lawyer. Good luck.