Asked in
History of England
Motte and Bailey Castles

What do you call a water-filled ditch around a castle called?


User Avatar
Wiki User
October 17, 2012 1:57PM

A dry or water filled ditch around a castle is called a moat. The water in the moat is supplied by a nearby river.

The word moat should not be confused with the French term motte which described a mound or hillock upon which a fortification was constructed.

Please see related links.