Chickens and Roosters

What do you call the red thing on top of a rooster's head?


Wiki User

The red "skin" on a rooster is called the comb and wattle. The comb is the fatty loose "decoration" on the roosters head and is used for both cooling the rooster when it is hot and for attracting a mate.

There are eight distinct varieties of combs on chickens and roosters. These are the varieties recognized by breeders, Buttercup, Cushion, Pea, Rose, Silkis, Single, Strawberry and V-shaped.

The wattle is made of the same material, hangs under the neck and does the same job as the comb…it is the area of the chicken where the blood comes closest to the surface of the skin and allows air to cool the blood running through it.