My dog was tested positive with heartworm. How do you treat heartworms in a dog using ivermectin? How much ivermectin and how long?
Ivermectin is also known as Stromectol and it is used to treat roundworm. Some side effects include headache, dizziness, muscle pain, and nausea.
Ivermectin is a drug that is used to treat parasitic invasions of the body. Therefore it is likely to have been prescribed after someone has gone to a country and caught malaria or another parasite borne disease.
Mites. Treat any pig with suspected mange mites with ivermectin.
Albendazole is a member of the benzimidazole compounds. Ivermectin is a an avermectin.
Another drug that appears to be effective in treating lice is ivermectin (Stromectol), a strong antiparasite drug that is usually given to treat intestinal worms.
Yes, ivermectin will eventually expire and need to be thrown away.
Heukelbach, J., T. Wilcke, B. Winter, et al. "Efficacy of Ivermectin in a Patient Population Concomitantly Infected with Intestinal Helminths and Ectoparasites." Arzneimittelforschung 54 (2004): 416-421.
Ivermectin should NOT be used on dogs younger than six weeks old
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivermectin Scroll down to the title HUMANS and it will tell you its uses.
An injection of internal parasitic medication will help, or pour-on medication using Ivomec or Ivermectin or anything that your vet would carry. But ask your vet first about how to treat mange before you start experimenting with different parasitic medication products.
Ivermectin is given for dogs and cats to treat different types of parasites. The pets may experience minimal side effects such as agitation, crying and lack of appetite.
1 to 2 weeks it would seem for most people. Provided you do not get reinfected. It is highly recommeded that bedding and clothing be BOILED during your ivermectin treatment.
According to the local farmers Coop there is nothing known of to put with the Ivermectin. You would have to buy the Ivermectin PLUS which already has the formula properly mixed. Probably would need a more scientific based business to put a formula together without getting the premix.
Ask the vet.
Two doses of the ivermectin cured 99% of cases of head lice as well as intestinal worms in a poor population with high rates of infestation with both types of parasites.
There are many products that contain Ivermectin for cattle, so it really depends on what product you use: Ivomec, Ivermec, Megamectin, Noromectin, etc.
Dairy cows can be treated with ivermectin, but it causes two problems. First, the ivermectin has a milk withhold time - for a specific amount of time the milk from that cow must be thrown away so it can cost the farmer a lot of money depending on where she is in her lactation curve. Second, ivermectin is active against both pests (mites, lice, etc.) and helpful insects like the dung beetle which helps break down the cow patties in the pastures.
While you can purchase ivermectin over the counter in pet supply stores, it is recommended that you take your dog to a veterinarian before using any medications. Ivermectin in particular can cause severe neurologic damage and death to certain collie-type dogs. Also, a veterinarian will be able to tell if the skin damage is caused by mange (skin parasites) or by some other cause (bacterial or fungal infection, allergies, etc.) that would not be resolved by ivermectin.
Threadworm infections are treated with medications. The drugs most often given are ivermectin, thiabendazole (Mintezol), and albendazole. Ivermectin is generally preferred because it has fewer side effects than thiabendazole.
This will depend upon the formulation of the ivermectin - there is a mg/ml concentration on the bottle and a mg/kg body weight doseage range for canines. I would suggest talking to your veterinarian to figure out how much your dog specifically should be given for the safety of your dog. However, if you have a collie-type dog, you should not use ivermectin on it - these breeds can carry a genetic mutation that makes them exquisitely sensitive to the effects of ivermectin and you can easily overdose them even when using the lowest label dose.
one or two weeks.