Asked in Honda AccordDefinitions
What does side mean?
July 16, 2010 7:24PM
Side has many meanings as noun and as an adjective.
- A line bounding a plane figure.
- A surface bounding a solid figure.
- A surface of an object, especially a surface joining a top and bottom: the four sides of a box.
- A surface of an object that extends more or less perpendicularly from an observer standing in front: the side of the ship.
- Either of the two surfaces of a flat object: the front side of a piece of paper; the two sides of a record.
- The part within an object or area to the left or right of the observer or of its vertical axis.
- The left or right half of the trunk of a human or animal body: always sleeps on his side; a side of beef.
- The space immediately next to someone: stood at her father's side.
- The space immediately next to something. Often used in combination: courtside; dockside.
- One of two or more contrasted parts or places within an area, identified by its location with respect to a center: the north side of the park.
- An area separated from another area by an intervening feature, such as a line or barrier: on this side of the Atlantic; the district on the other side of the railroad tracks.
- One of two or more opposing individuals, groups, teams, or sets of opinions.
- One of the positions maintained in a dispute or debate.
- A distinct aspect: the shy side of his personality.
- Line of descent: my aunt on my mother's side.
- An incomplete script that shows the lines and cues of a single performer only. Often used in the plural.
- Chiefly British. Affected superiority; arrogance.
- Located on a side: a side door.
- From or to one side; oblique: a side view.
- Minor; incidental: a side interest.
- In addition to the main part; supplementary: a side benefit.