Science
Home Electricity
Electrical Engineering

What is a short circuit and why can it be dangerous?

123

Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
Answered
2012-09-13 04:29:14
2012-09-13 04:29:14

A short circuit (sometimes abbreviated to short or s/c) in an electrical circuit that allows a current to travel along an unintended path, often where essentially no (or a very low) electrical impedance is encountered. The electrical opposite of a short circuit is an "open circuit", which is an infinite resistance between two nodes. It is common to misuse "short circuit" to describe any electrical malfunction, regardless of the actual problem.

345
๐Ÿ™
0
๐Ÿคจ
0
๐Ÿ˜ฎ
0
๐Ÿ˜‚
0

Related Questions


Short Circuit can be dangerous do to the fact that they can start fires.

Short circuits are very dangerous because it can zap u and you can die!!??(not good)

A short circuit in an electrical circuit allows a current along a different path from the one intended. Short circuits can because if one of the conductors are hot or smoking then you can become severely burned. and that is why they are dangerous

A short circuit can start a fire.

In short circuit large amount of current will flow in the circuit, which will damage the circuit.Nice Question. But its not shot circuit. It is Short-circuit. Short circuit means that we connect the output terminals of any circuit by means of No Resistance wire(Normally low resistance since we cannot have zero resistance in practical). If there is no resistance then the current will flow through the line will be higher. This increase in current may damage the circuit elements since we have some specific ratings for every elements. This leads to collapse in the electrical circuit. That is why the short circuit in any circuit is dangerous

A short circuit will draw a lot of current and produce heat so there is great danger of damage and even fire

Open circuit Because, if there's an open, there could be machinery still running, or voltage still present. Short shuts a cct down.

it is dangerous to use damaged wires because they cause damage to the whole circuit ( in house) for example short circuit ,etc which is harmful to us.

Another name for a circuit with low resistance and high current is a short circuit. It is dangerous because, if you have sufficient energy in the power source, you can damage components and/or cause fires.

If it spills, there will probably be a short circuit and quite a few sparks!

A dead short can draw excessive current and cause overheating of the conductors, an arc flash or even fire.

A short circuit is when there is a connection between both sides of the supply before the current is sent round the main circuit. It causes large currents to flow and if it causes the fuse to blow or the circuit breaker to trip, that isn't dangerous, just inconvenient. In a poorly installed circuit without protection devices, the large current could cause the wiring and the house to catch fire.

Because of a tendency of too much current to flow through part of a circuit.

A safety obeserver who has a wooden object to pull you from the live circuit. They must be trained in CPR and know where the circuit breakers are to deactivate the dangerous circuit in case of a mishap.

A short circuit happens when there is no resistance in the circuit.

1. That if a short circuit occurs we will get a sign before short circuit will happen or not ? 2. what we can do ? 3. how fuse can get a short circuit ? 4. which wires we have to use from preventing short circuit ?

A short circuit. In a properly installed system the fuse will blow to prevent a fire.

When a short circuit occurs the circuit overheats. Short circuits often result in home fires.

open circuit has infinite resistance short circuit has no resistance at all

No. A short circuit would be zero ohms.

An open circuit or a short-circuit (if that circuit is complete).

A short circuit is an interruption in the design of a circuit. The short interferes with the flow of electricity causing feedback through the process.

It is potentially dangerous because it provides a low-resistance path across the supply voltage. That causes excessive current to flow, and if all is well a fuse or circuit-breaker will operate to shut off the supply. Without that there might be enough current to cause a fire.

When a voltage is present between two points in a circuit (electrical outlet, battery, etc.) it normally flows through a load of some resistance to do some work. If instead a pure conductor (usually metal) connects the two points separated by a voltage, a short circuit results. Current through the short circuit is very high and usually results in fire or failure unless protected by a circuit breaker. In low-voltage, low-power electronics a short circuit might not be dangerous but is usually undesirable.

Short circuit blowing fuse or breaker.


Copyright ยฉ 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.