Spark Plugs and Wires
Home Electricity
Electrical Wiring

What is the common way of referring to a plug and its corresponding socket as per the electrical engineering terminology?



User Avatar
Wiki User

Plug and socket, plug and socket outlet, plug and receptacle or plain plug and outlet all seem to be in common usage in the US. Plug and socket is possibly the only wording commonly used in the UK. [Plug and socket outlet sounds ok to a me, as a Brit, but we never really use that expression in the UK. Plug and outlet or plug and receptacle actually sound very strange!]