Home Equity and Refinancing
Taxes and Tax Preparation
Tax Forms

What should you do if you did not receive your W-2 before January 31?

Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
Answered 2007-02-21 19:54:53

This is not uncommon, but be aware that it is virtually NEVER an acceptable excuse for failing to report accurately and timely. If you do not receive your Form W-2, Form 1099-R, Form 1099-INT, or Form 1099-MISC by January 31st , or your information is incorrect, contact your employer/payer first. Many times they have been returned in the mail, for any number of reasons, or a substitute is available easily, even on line. If you do not receive the missing or corrected form by February 15th from your employer/payer, you may call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 for assistance. You must provide your name, address (including zip code), phone number, Social Security Number, dates of employment, your employer/payer's name, address (including zip code), and phone number. With your information, the IRS will contact the employer/payer for you and request the missing form. IRS will also send you a Form 4852 (PDF) (Substitute for Form W-2 or Form 1099-R). If you do not receive the missing form in sufficient time to file your tax return timely, you may use the Form 4852. If you receive the missing or corrected Form W-2 or Form 1099 after you file your return and a correction is needed, use Form 1040X (PDF) (Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return). By law all W2's have to be mailed out by Jan. 31st. If you still haven't received it, try to contact your employer. Make sure they have the right address. If the address is wrong, the USPS will not forward it.

User Avatar

Your Answer

Still Have Questions?

Related Questions

When can IRS employees expect to receive their W2's?

I am an IRS seasonal employee and have not yet received my W2. We are supposed to receive them before January 31.

When should people not employed receive their 2009 w2 forms?

If you were an employee with an employer at any time during the 2009 tax year you should have received your W-2 form from your employer by January 31 2010. If you received unemployment compensation during the tax year 2009 you should have received the W-2G from the state before January 31 2010.

When can I expect to receive the W2 for unemployment in Kentucky?

By January 31 of the next year.

When will I receive Cabelas Inc W-2 forms?

By January 31

When should I receive my W-2 tax form from my employer?

Employers are required to provide your W-2 to you no later than January 31.

Can you hand out employee w-2s or do they have to be mailed?

You can do either, as long as they receive it by January 31

When should tax info be mailed out by banks and investment companies?

You should receive all paperwork by January 31, unless the government authorizes a delay due to errors or other issues with the original statements.

Your w2 from 2009?

Should be in your hands by January 31, 2010

Where can I get a w2 legal form?

A W2 form can be received from your employer, who should write you one for income tax. This should be mailed out on or before January 31, which will allow you enough time to complete before the April 15 deadline.

How long does an inmate at downstate correctional facility have to wait before they can receive a package?

31 days

What month do you get w-2?

You should get your W-2 by January 31.

What is the last date of January?

Every January has 31 days. January 31 2012 is on a Tuesday.

How many days are in December and January?

December 31January 31

What day of the week was January 31 1965?

31 January 1965 was a Sunday.

What day of the week was 31 January 1936?

31 January 1936 was a Friday.

Which day of the week is January 31 1949?

January 31, 1949, was a Monday.

What day of the week January 31 1957?

January 31, 1957, was a Thursday.

How many days are there in January 2009?

As with any month of January, there are 31 days in January 2009.

What are the release dates for The Tonight Show with Jay Leno - 1992 15-22?

The Tonight Show with Jay Leno - 1992 15-22 was released on: USA: 31 January 2007 USA: 31 January 2007 USA: 31 January 2007 USA: 31 January 2007 USA: 31 January 2007 USA: 31 January 2007

What day of the week was January 31 1947?

January 31, 1947 fell on a Friday.

What day of the week was January 31 1989?

January 31, 1989 fell on a Tuesday.

What day of the week was January 31 1997?

January 31, 1997 fell on a Friday.

What day of the week was January 31 1998?

January 31, 1998 fell on a Saturday.

What day of the week was January 31 1972?

January 31, 1972 fell on a Monday.

What day of the week was January 31 1962?

January 31, 1962 fell on a Wednesday.

Still have questions?