2 GE TF34-GE-100A Turbofan
Four GE turbofan engines generate 56,000 pounds of thrust each. This adds to 224,000 pounds of thrust altogether.
There are two types of turbofan engines- high bypass and low bypass engines. About 80 percent of the total engine thrust from a high bypass turbofan engine is produced by the bypass of air around the core. These types of engines generally have a large fan in the front to pull in large volumes of air to produce such a powerful jet stream out the back. The front fan is driven by the compression, combustion, and expulsion of the hot gases out the back of the core. About 20 percent of the air pulled in from the front fan is used to drive the core. High bypass turbofan engines are used on almost all commercial jet aircraft because they burn less fuel. A low bypass engine is exactly the opposite. The core is used to drive a smaller fan in the front which only about 20 percent of the total volume of air pulled in is bypassed. The remaining 80 percent of the air being drawn into the engines core is compressed, combusted, and the hot gasses expelled out the back to produce the necessary thrust to propel a jet forward. Low bypass turbofan engines are found on jets that require supersonic speeds. These engines are incredibly powerful but at the cost of a high fuel burn rate.
An aircraft uses a turbofan engine to reach takeoff and cruising speed. Look up TURBOFAN on Google for more info!
High Bypass turbofan engines use pneumatics (air) for starting the engines.
No. There are not "spark plugs" on turbofan engines. There are ignitors, which help to ignite the fuel during start, but unlike spark plugs, ignitors do not run constantly.
By the Pratt & Whitney PW-220E afterburning turbofan.
Piston, turbojet, turbofan, turboprop to name a few.
Ronald H Soeder has written: 'Effect of combined pressure and temperature distortion orientation on high-bypass-ratio turbofan engine stability' -- subject(s): Airplanes, Turbofan engines
They are powered by an F110-GE-100 afterburning turbofan
Airbus airliners use high bypass turbofan jet engines.
Pratt & Whitney F100 turbofan engine
A propeller is completely external and is the main source of propulsion for a airplane with a piston or turbojet engine. A turbofan is more enclosed and provides some propulsion along with also cooling the jet engine that is the main source of propulsion.