Israel

Who are the 12 tribes of Israel today?

192021

Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
Answered
2018-03-28 06:33:47
2018-03-28 06:33:47

In 719 BCE, 10 Tribes were deported to Assyria. They apparently completely assimilated and did not return to Israel.

After that, tribal distinctions disappeared, except for the Levites and the Judeans. Today, most Jews are from the tribe of Judah, and a few are from the tribe of Levi. (Jews from the Levi tribe know so because of family tradition).

  • Answer 2
The Tribes of Israel today are the Jewish people. The great majority of Jews today, some 80% or so, are descended from the tribe of Judah (plus converts and descendants of converts). The remaining 20% include Levites (from the tribe of Levi), Cohanim (also a part of the Levites), the entire Tribe of Benjamin, and a small percentage from every one of the remaining tribes. (When the Ten Tribes were carried off into Assyria and didn't return, some of them had already mixed into the tribe of Judah before that, through marriage and through large-scale migration [e.g. 2 Chronicles 15:9]. Also, the Talmud relates [Megillah 14b] that, one century after the Ten Tribes were exiled [and their location was still known], Jeremiah journeyed to where they were and brought some of them back to Judea. Thus, today's Jewry includes a small percentage of every one of the Lost Tribes. [See for example the Talmud, Pesachim 4a.])

As to the location of the bulk of the lost Ten Tribes, because of the lack of a continuous tradition in this particular matter, we can only speculate. Some well-known claims, such as the suggestion that the Native Americans or African Americans are the Lost Israelite Tribes, we can confidently dismiss offhand; and DNA analyses have also debunked such ideas. Other claims, such as that which has been suggested concerning the Pathani (Pashtun), are less far-fetched but must for the time being remain nothing more than a guess.

001
๐Ÿ˜‚
0
๐ŸŽƒ
0
๐Ÿคจ
0
๐Ÿ˜ฎ
0
User Avatar

User Avatar
Wiki User
Answered
2015-01-11 14:33:44
2015-01-11 14:33:44

The Tribes of Israel today are the Jewish people. The great majority of Jews today, some 80% or so, are descended from the tribe of Judah (plus converts and descendants of converts). The remaining 20% include Levites (from the tribe of Levi), Cohanim (also a part of the Levites), the entire Tribe of Benjamin, and a small percentage from every one of the remaining tribes. See also the Related Links.

Link: Jewish history timeline

Link: Are Hebrews Israelites and Jews the same people?

Link: Debunking the "From the Khazars" canard

001
๐Ÿ˜‚
0
๐ŸŽƒ
0
๐Ÿคจ
0
๐Ÿ˜ฎ
0
User Avatar

Related Questions


There were once 12. Today there are two complete tribes (Judah and Benjamin), and remnants of all the others.


Jacob, his name was changed to Israel and then the 12 tribes of Israel were named after 12 of his sons. (he has14 sons, but 2 of them are excluded)


The 12 sons of Jacob (Israel).


All 12 tribes of Israel spoke Hebrew, with varying dialects.All 12 tribes of Israel spoke Hebrew, with varying dialects.



good day How can I obtain pictures, meaning of the 12 Tribes of Israel please Tnx Sylvia


First, there aren't 12 Tribes any more. 10 of the 12 tribes assimilated into Babylonian culture during the era of the first captivity, in the 6th Century BCE. Jews today return to Israel at a rate of about 15,000 people per year, though the number has been increasing in recent years.


Each child of Israel, also known as Jacob, had 12 children. Their descendants were known as the 12 tribes of Israel


The 12 tribes of Israel are of Jacob not Abraham.


According to traditional interpretations of the Bible, the 12 Tribes of Israel do not correspond 1:1 with modern countries or nations. The 12 Tribes of Israel and their descendants are typically considered Jews or they have been assimilated into larger nationalities (such as Mesopotamian).


AnswerThe population of Israel and Judah was entirely Semitic, so the twelve tribes of Israel were all Semitic.


They represent the 12 tribes of Israel.


It was Jacob who raised 12 sons, who later become the 12 tribes of Isareal.


There are 12 Hebrew tribes of Israel not seven. You can read about them in Revelation 7:4-9.


No. All twelve tribes are from Israel. They are known as the twelve tribes of Israel, they all descend from Abraham's grandson who was named Israel. There are some offshoot religions that claim to be one of the tribes, or a "lost tribe" of Israel, but blood tests have proven they do not descend from Israel.


The 12 sons of Jacob are the 12 tribes of Israel.


There were 10 tribes, but they weren't lost. What happened was, during the Babylonian captivity of 586 BCE, the 12 tribes of Israel were expelled from the land and sent to Assyria. After 70 years, 9½ of those 12 Tribes had just assimiliated into Babylonian society, leaving only 2½ tribes returning to Israel.


None. Moses led the 12 Tribes of Israel to Mount Sinai, but he was not one of the Israelite patriarchs.


"12 T of I" stands for "Twelve Tribes of Israel".


Abraham's grandson, Jacob, had 12 sons from whom are descended the 12 tribes of Israel.



Jacobs name was changed to Israel, as he is the father of the 12 tribes of Israel.


The twelve tribes are the descendants of Jacob's 12 sons and are the ancestors of the Jews.


There are not 12 churches there are 7 churches and you will find them identified in the first 2 chapters of the book of Revelation.You might be getting 12 churches confused with the 12 tribes of Israel.There are 12 Tribes of IsraelThere are 7 Churches


Judah (Yehudah) and Israel. Israel was to the north and had 10 of the 12 tribes.



Copyright ยฉ 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.