Why is static electricity worse in winter other than the air is drier?

You get a shock when electrons move from a negatively charged surface to a less negatively charged surface. You see a shock then the electrond flow through the air... and ZAP... you feel it too. The electricity has an "easier" time moving though the air when it is dry, so you need less of a charge to get a shock. When there's more moisture in the air, it's tougher! It's the other way around. Moist air conducts electricity better than dry air, so charge bleeds off quickly. When the air is dry, the electrons can hang around on your body for a long time, charging you up to thousands of volts. That can last until you touch something that can conduct them away, like a doorknob or your significant other. Electronics manufacturers have a devil of a time with static jumping onto sensitive parts and damaging them. Electronic assembly areas typically have to keep the humidity above a specified level (maybe 40%) to reduce the charge on the workers.