What would you like to do?
What are Oprah Winfrey's major accomplishment?
- In the year 1972, Oprah Winfrey won the Miss Black Tennessee beauty pageant and started working with a local black radio station WVOL as a news presenter.
- In the year 1973 Oprah graduated from Tennessee State University with a degree in Speech and Performing Arts and became the first black TV news anchor reporter with WTVF-TV.
- In 1983, Oprah moved to Chicago to host WLS-TV's low-rated half-hour morning talk-show, AM Chicago and within months after Oprah took over, the show went on to become the highest rated talk show in Chicago and was renamed as "The Oprah Winfrey Show".
- In the year 1987, Oprah won her first Emmy award for best talk/service show host and best show.
- Oprah received the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People's Entertainer of the year award in 1989.
- Oprah testified before the US congress and initiated the National Child Protection Act in 1991.
- In 1995 Oprah not only won an Emmy for Best Talk Show and Best Host for the second year in a row but also kick started Oprah Online on AOL (American Online) in partnership with ABC. Oprah became the first woman and the only black on Forbes list of 400 richest Americans in the same year.
- In the year 1996, Oprah received the prestigious George Foster Peabody's Individual Achievement Award. In the same year she co-authored the book "A Journal of Daily Renewal: The Companion to Make the Connection" with Bob Greene.
- In 1997 Oprah's Angel Network was formed which encouraged people to make charitable contributions and volunteer work. In the same year she co-authored another book "Uncommon Wisdom of Oprah Winfrey: A Portrait in Her Own Words" with Bill Adler.
- In the year 1998 Oprah received a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Daytime Emmy Awards and an award for top talk show host.
- In 2002, Oprah received the Bob Hope Humanitarian Award at the 2002 Emmy Awards for her services to television and film.
- In the year 2005 Oprah was named by Time magazine as one of the 100 most influential people of the year. She also ranked in 9th place in public poll of the greatest Americans.
- Oprah Winfrey was also the first black person listed by Business Week as one of America's top 50 most generous philanthropists.
- Oprah has invested $40 million and much of her time creating the Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls near Johannesburg in South Africa, which started in January 2007.
- Her efforts were applauded by Nelson Mandela who congratulated her for overcoming her own disadvantaged youth to become a benefactor for others and for investing in the future of South Africa
13 people found this useful
Was this answer useful?
Thanks for the feedback!
Oprah Winfrey is well known for her part in activism and charitiesall over the world. She has become an inspiration for all people nomatter their race, gender, orientation, fo…r lifestyle. Her majoraccomplishments stem from a 1972 Miss Black Tennessee beautypageant to her own television network which is currently availableas OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network.
the answer is simply this her mom was Rosa parks the woman who refused to give up her seat.r.i.p Rosa parks.
Orpah Gail Winfrey (that is O-R-P-A-H as seen in biblical texts.)
in 2005 she ate the largest pie in the world
Running a show in front of 1,000s of people and in front of my friends and my family . And my show influance people and makes them happy all over the world.
She went to TSU for radio and television broadcasting.
what is opran Winfrey hometown
mom dad and grandmother
Oprah Winfrey's birth name is Orpah Gail Winfrey.
yes so is oprah haha kt
its that she helped build a school in africa.
She helped out haiti and fed the kids food and she built a home in California for blacks and she preached at a californian church for kids