adj., more (môr, mōr), most (mōst).
- Being one of a large indefinite number; numerous: many a child; many another day.
- Amounting to or consisting of a large indefinite number: many friends.
- A large indefinite number: A good many of the workers had the flu.
- The majority of the people; the masses: "The many fail, the one succeeds" (Tennyson).
A large number of persons or things: "For many are called, but few are chosen" (Matthew 22:14).
- The same number of: moved three times in as many years.
[Middle English, from Old English manig.]
1. Many, like much, tends to sound more formal in positive contexts (They have many friends) than in negative ones (They do not have many friends). In conversation and less formal written English, a lot of (or, even more informally, lots of) is used instead in positive contexts.
2. The type many a, though notionally plural, always entails a singular construction:
Many a prostitute, whether she calls herself a...hostess, or a common whore, imagines that she is exploiting the male sex—Germaine Greer, 1970.
|Previous:||mantra, mantel, mantle, manqué|
|Next:||marathon, margarine, marginal, marginalize|
Definition: profuse, abundant
Antonyms: few, scarce
Definition: abundance; a lot
IN BRIEF: Amounting to a large number.
Life is fortified by many friendships. — Sydney Smith, (1771-1845), English clergyman & essayist.
LearnThatWord.com is a free vocabulary and spelling program where you only pay for results!
categories related to 'many'
|Look up many in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Many may refer to:
- A quantifier that can be used with count nouns - often preceded by "as" or "too" or "so" or "that"; amounting to a large but indefinite number; "many temptations"; "a good many"; "many directions"; more than a few, more than several
- Place names
- Many, Moselle, a commune of the Moselle department, in France
- Mány, a village in Hungary
- Many, Louisiana, a town in the United States
- Many, Masovian Voivodeship, east-central Poland
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the same title.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.
This entry is from Wikipedia, the leading user-contributed encyclopedia. It may not have been reviewed by professional editors (see full disclaimer)
- in so many words med rene ord
- many a time mangen en gang
- many happy returns tillykke (med fødselsdagen)
- many's the time tit og ofte
- have one too many avoir bu un coup de trop (fam)
- in so many words explicitement, en propres termes
- many a time maintes fois, souvent
- many happy returns meilleurs voeux
- many's the time maintes fois
- have one too many er hat einen od. ein Glas zuviel getrunken
- in so many words ausdrücklich
- many a time so manches Mal
- many happy returns Herzlichen Glückwunsch
- many's the time so manches Mal
- in so many words με τα ίδια περίπου λόγια
- many a time πολλάκις, πλειστάκις
- many happy returns χρόνια πολλά
- many's the time πολλές φορές, συχνά
- a good/great many un buon numero
- in so many words direttamente
- many a time spesso
- many happy returns cento di questi giorni
- many's the time spesso e volentieri
- a good/great many muitos
- in so many words nas palavras exatas
- many a time muitas vezes
- many happy returns que esta data feliz se repita por muitos anos
- many's the time freqüentemente
- a good/great many изрядное количество
- in so many words сказать напрямик
- many a time много раз
- many happy returns поздравляю с днем рождения
- many's the time часто
- have one too many tener uno de más, ser más listo, fuerte, etc. que
- in so many words concretamente, exactamente
- many a time más de una vez, muchas veces
- many happy returns ¡feliz cumpleaños!
- many's the time muchas veces, más de una vez
- in so many words 明确地
- many a time 许多次
- many happy returns 敬祝快乐
- many's the time 许多时间, 许多次
- in so many words 明確地
- many a time 許多次
- many happy returns 敬祝快樂
- many's the time 許多時間, 許多次
- in so many words 확실하게, 글자 그대로의
- a good/great many 多くの
- in so many words 文字どおりに, はっきりと
- many a time 何度も
- many happy returns 長寿を祈ります
- many respects ごきげんよう
- many strings to one's bow 万が一の準備がある
- of many years' standing 長い年月の間
- so many 同数, 幾ら幾らの
eSpindle provides personalized spelling and vocabulary tutoring online; sign up free. Read more