Can mother apply for passport for child if never married to the father with out father consent?

Only if the mother has been granted sole physical custody of the child and has the court order to prove it. Otherwise, no, the State Department will not issue a passport for a child without both parents' signatures if both parents' names appear on the child's birth certificate.