Child Support
Children and the Law
Emancipation and Ages for Moving Out
Divorce and Marriage Law
Birth Certificates
Law & Legal Issues
Parenting and Children
Age of Consent & Underage Relationships
Children and Divorce


A person having custody of a child exercises exclusive parental authority and responsibility over the child’s physical provisions, moral and emotional health, medical treatment, discipline, religion, property, control, and place of residence.

Asked in Custody, Children and the Law, Child Support

What is the difference between sole custody and joint custody?

Custody labels change depending upon the jurisdiction in which you reside. It is important to know and understand the proper custody labels and have them applied in your child custody order. Generally there are two main categories of custody: Legal Custody: Legal custody refers to making major decisions in your child's life such as medical and health related decisions, education, and welfare. Physical Custody: Physical custody refers to which parent the children reside with on a day to day basis. Sole Legal One parent has...
Asked in Adoption, Custody, Child Support

Giving up legal rights to your child means what?

That you have no right to see your child. Child Support is a separate issues. see links ...
Asked in Custody, Children and the Law, Child Support

Does the absent parent HAVE to pay child support?

Yes, if the custodial parent and/or State agency files an action [either judicial or administrative] requiring that s/he do so. ...
Asked in Relationships, Custody

Can an uncle get custody of his niece who is a ward of the state of ny but the uncle lives in va?

If the uncle honestly desires that, he will get an attorney who will guide him through the process. It takes an attorney, but can be done. ...
Asked in Pregnancy Health and Safety (Prenatal Care), Custody, Child Support

Do you have to have a bury for unborn child?

No if it has taken a breath then yes But Allah will give u a new baby for taken away your baby ...
Asked in Custody, Family Travel, Travel & Places

Do you need a consent for your child to travel with grandparents inside the US?

No. There are no checkpoints as there are between countries so there is no way for the government to regulate that. It is perfectly legal for grandparents to travel in the US with their grandchildren without any documentation. Really no one need any documentation to travel with anyone inside the country. If you want to go to Canada, a notiraized letter that has the signatures of both parents is required. ...
Asked in Custody, Child Support, Children and Divorce

Does a child have to visit a parent who has visitation rights?

Yes. The only way to stop visitation is for the court modify the original ruling, but they will need strong evidence that it would be detrimental to the child to continue going to visit the other parent. If the child is refusing to go, the first thing you should do is to find out why your child doesn't want to visit the other parent. You can hire an attorney and take your ex spouse to court if you believe your child is...
Asked in Custody, Children and the Law, Child Support

Is it illegal to file child support in two states?

The case should originate in the State where the child lives. Only one order can be operative at any one time. However, a child support order may be registered in any other State for purposes of enforcement. There is no law prohibiting more than one State from enforcing a child support order. ...
Asked in Custody, Law & Legal Issues, Child Support

Can a non party be bound by a court order?

no Added: Usually only the parties named in the order are affected by it, unless the-order also includes more general phraseology (e.g.: "all parties to the action" - "the school administration" - etc) to apply to some much broader or more inclusive group of people. ...
Asked in Custody, Children and the Law, Child Support, Birth Certificates

What happens if there is no father to name on the birth certificate?

Just the mother's name is perfectly legal. I used artificial insemination, so there was no father. My son's birth certificate has only myself listed. Perfectly legal, never a problem nor question. ...
Asked in Custody, Children and the Law, Child Support

Can child be adopted without biological fathers consent?

Yes, if a court terminates the biological father's parental rights on the grounds that he is an unfit parent, or the biological father fails to appear for hearings on the matter. ...
Asked in Custody, Divorce and Marriage Law, Children and Divorce

How does a divorce affect children?

Divorce has a variety of adverse effects on children. Generally, their reaction can be strongly influenced by the manner by which their parents handle the divorce. Everything has changed for them. Their lives are disrupted. Their lives have become unstable. They fear what will happen to them without both parents in the home to care for them. Some think the break up is their fault. There is no more "family" time with both parents present: trips, vacations, parties, school functions, sports, etc. There...
Asked in Adoption, Custody, Child Support

Can a mother give up parental rights to a teenager?

A parent cannot simply abandon their child, however in most cases they can voluntarily relinquish parental rights provided that adequate alternative care (such as a relative willing to take the child or someone willing to adopt them) is available. ...
Asked in Custody, Children and the Law, Emancipation and Ages for Moving Out

What to do when your dad leaves home?

you should call him a lot and prepare for his homecoming he will always love a big hug after a long day month or week mean while let him know that you miss him if he is far away send him pictures on his phone that will always cheer both of you up ...
Asked in Custody, Child Support

Can a person be forced to pay child support after 20 years old if they never had to pay?

YES/NO This fully depends on the state. In most states, the mother has until the child turns age of majority for that state (18-21) to file for retroactive child support of up to 18 years worth (average is 5 years), and the child can file for one year after they reach the age of majority. However, in Ohio and Michigan, the mother has until the child turns age 23 to file for 18 years of retroactive child support. The child can file...
Asked in Custody, Children and the Law, Child Support

How does joint custody affect child support?

Joint Custody and Child Support Joint legal custody has no effect on child support. With joint physical custody there is still a payment of child support from the higher income parent to the lower income parent, usually determined by a sliding scale based on time with each parent (procedures vary among states). Because both parents provide for the child directly, the payment between parents may be less, but the financial support to the child is the same or higher than with sole custody....
Asked in Custody

Can you have custody of child if your spouse commit adultery?

A spouse having an affair is not usually something the judge takes into consideration when deciding which parent will get custody of the children. ...
Asked in Custody, Child Support

What can the non custodial parent do if the custodial parent does not provide a safe environment for the child?

The child should be removed from an unsafe situation and the non-custodial parent should request temporary physical custody. If you do not have a lawyer you can go to the court in your state and get a emergency temporary order for custody, but be prepared to have compelling proof of the unsafe conditions in the custodial parents home. Child endangerment is a primary concern to the courts. A parent can be deemed unfit for not providing a safe environment. You must provide...
Asked in Custody, Children and the Law, Child Support

Can you still get child support if the father doesn't work but owns property?

This suggests that the father has some income from that property and therefore some ability to support the child[ren]. ...
Asked in Custody, Child Support, Narcissism

How dangerous is a narcissistic parent with joint custody?

If he is a true narcissist he hates children. The risk of abuse - physical, psychological, and even sexual - is considerable. My book: "Malignant Self Love - Narcissism Revisited" (c) 2003 Lidija Rangelovska Narcissus Publications I think if the narcissist is the kind who receives narcissistic supply by basking in the glow of others, for instance his children, he can be okay as a parent provided the children are beautiful, high-achieving or posses attributes that the narcissist perceives as a positive reflection...
Asked in Custody, Relationships

Are there any sister rights laws. Can the mom keep the sisters from seeing each other?

The person with custodial responsibilities has control if all do not live in the same household. If one sister is under the custody of the mother, then the mother has the right to control who she sees, including sisters who are not living in the same household. There are no laws specifically dealing with visitation rights of sisters. ...
Asked in Custody, Children and the Law, Emancipation and Ages for Moving Out

How old do you have to be to move out in Missouri if you have a very manipulative father willing to do anything that he can to keep you in his custody and you will be 17 in the next month?

Choosing to make it on your own at a young age should be a last resort. If you are in an abusive or neglectful household, something needs to be done about it and moving out might be a great option. Or, maybe you're better off in Foster Care. It's hard to say without the details of your situation. Regardless of your personal situation -- and before you make a decision --anyone considering going out on his/her own at a young age needs to...
Asked in Custody, Children and the Law, Child Support

Can an unmarried mother keep child from father?

It would depend on the circumstances. If the father signed the birth certificate then he automatically has rights and can take you to court for those rights. If he's not on the birth certificate, he will have to ask the court to order a paternity test, he will probably have to pay for it, depending on the state laws, and if it shows he is the father, then again, he can take you to court for visitation rights. If you are married...