Divorce and Marriage Law
Parenting and Children
Children and the Law
Child Support
Emancipation and Ages for Moving Out
Child Safety
Law & Legal Issues
Age of Consent & Underage Relationships

Children and Divorce

This category covers questions concerning the emotional effects of divorce on children, as well as the best way for parents to make the divorce easier on the kids. It also covers different family problems children and parents face when dealing with the divorce of parents, and how to deal with them.

Asked in Custody, Child Support, Children and Divorce

Does a child have to visit a parent who has visitation rights?

Yes. The only way to stop visitation is for the court modify the original ruling, but they will need strong evidence that it would be detrimental to the child to continue going to visit the other parent. If the child is refusing to go, the first thing you should do is to find out why your child doesn't want to visit the other parent. You can hire an attorney and take your ex spouse to court if you believe your child is...
Asked in Custody, Divorce and Marriage Law, Children and Divorce

How does a divorce affect children?

Divorce has a variety of adverse effects on children. Generally, their reaction can be strongly influenced by the manner by which their parents handle the divorce. Everything has changed for them. Their lives are disrupted. Their lives have become unstable. They fear what will happen to them without both parents in the home to care for them. Some think the break up is their fault. There is no more "family" time with both parents present: trips, vacations, parties, school functions, sports, etc. There...
Asked in Parenting and Children, Children and Divorce, Divorce

How do you get over your ex wife when you have to see each other because of the children?

You should keep your conversation restrict to about children only. You should try to accept the fact . Avoid contacting them unnecessarily (for no reason). You do need to see your ex from time to time for a couple of reasons. One reason is so your children will still see their parents as "their parents", not a "parent and another parent", especially if they aren't yet grown. It's important for the kids to still feel they have both parents as a 'unit'. Another...
Asked in Child Safety, Children and the Law, State Laws, Children and Divorce

What is the legal age of children can stay home alone California?

California has not passed a law regarding this issue. Most authorities believe that it is safe to leave a 12 or 13 year old home alone for a few hours during the day. The child needs to be safe, feel safe, and know how to handle any emergencies. There are very few states in the U.S. with legal minimum ages for children home alone, but many state agencies have published guidelines. Georgia, Illiniois, Maryland and Oregon are a few of the states...
Asked in Relationships, Breakups, Children and Divorce, Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA)

Should you go back to a rocky marriage and try to work things out for the sake of your child?

If you can manage then the answer is yes. If you are able to work out the differences . Then you should try to get back together . ...
Asked in Custody, Children and Divorce

How old does a child have to be to stop visitation with noncustodial parent in TX?

For our daughter it was 18 years of age. or he or she can become emancipated at 16 years of age through family court.. which in terms deems the minor an adult. The person is no longer required to visit non custodial parent. ...
Asked in Children and Divorce, Custody

How do you prove a mother unfit in Illinois And does her moving the kids over 26 times in 6 years count against her she has also had 2 more failed marriages one of which ended badly?

I don't think the failed marriages would make her an unfit mother. But for her to move 26 times in 6 years indicates a lack of stability for the kids, which could help in proving her an unfit mother. But there will most likely have to be more to it than just her moving in order for her to be declared unfit. Does she drink excessively or do drugs? Does she neglect the children? Does she abuse them in any way? Has...
Asked in Divorce and Marriage Law, Debt and Bankruptcy, Children and Divorce

How will filing for divorce affect a Chapter 13 bankruptcy?

i believe that Bankruptcy planning should be done before the final divorce decree is obtained. This way your required payment of joint debts may be discharged without violating a court order. ...
Asked in Abusive Relationships and Domestic Violence, Children and Divorce, Divorce

What can you do about an ex-husband brainwashing the children to believe the divorce was your fault?

We both took the high road; however my sons, now in their twenties, do realize what the issue was with their father. As the first entry states: children are smart. If your husband has court mandated custody of visitation, there is little you can do legally. Your son is likely to encounter narcissists in his future. In a way, he will be better prepared to cope with them, more alert to their existence and chicanery and more desensitized to their abuse. For this you...
Asked in Children and Divorce

What should you do when your ex-husband has been saying things to your children to make them feel sorry for him and angry with you blaming you for the divorce?

Take the kids to a great family counselor with experience in dealing with kids of divorce. This problem is common and you are too close to the situation to handle it correctly. Kids generally need a compassionate counselor with whom they can "vent" about BOTH parents during and after the divorce. Here are some personal accounts from users: It may be in your best interest to intervene and talk to the children, telling them your side. I took the so-called higher moral ground...
Asked in Adoption, International Adoption, Children and Divorce

How expensive is adoption when you want to adopt your wife's children?

It won't be nearly a expensive as adopting a child from an agency or a foreign country. But you should find a lawyer who deals with this and have the appropriate paperwork drawn up to make it legal. The best way to find a good, reasonably priced lawyer is by word of mouth. Ask around to people who have done this. OR try the yellow pages for lawyers who make adoptions legal and permenent. Call a few different ones, give them...
Asked in Abusive Relationships and Domestic Violence, Children and Divorce

If your wife is abusive and you have children is it wise to walk out even if it means leaving your children to suffer similar treatment alone?

No. It is not wise, nor is it moral or ethical, or the right thing to do by any strecth of the imagination to leave children with an abusive parent. As a father, especially a father who knows the mother is abusive, you owe it to your children to protect them at all costs. It that means you stay with her (and the kids) until you can get proof of her abuse, find a way to bring them with you, then...
Asked in Breakups, Teen Dating, Children and Divorce

How soon is too soon to start dating after a separation and divorce?

Whenever you feel ready to. If you still have feelings for your ex, then you should maybe address these issues first and then make a clean break. If you have already done that, the only reason you must be asking that question is because you are bothered what your ex might think. Will it make you happy to start a new relationship? I dont think you have got your head around the fact that you no longer have to take your...
Asked in Custody, Children and Divorce

What can happen if you leave your husband and take your child with you?

Ask yourself what gives you the right to have custody of the children? The best answer for ALL concerned is to talk it over with your husband and come to an agreement. With this you can then get the agreement written up by lawyers. If you do not feel comfortable talking to your husband about this by yourself I suggest you both meet with a third party - say your lawyer. I suggest you get to a court ASAP and file...
Asked in Custody, Child Support, Children and Divorce

Can a father get full custody if the mother moves herself and the kids in with her lesbian lover and the father does not agree with the mothers lifestyle?

The courts can rule either way and it depends on the gay laws in your State. Some courts may still grant the mother full custody if they feel the environment is safe for the children and many courts prefer the children to be with their mother. It is worth it to fight this in court, but for the sake of the children you should go for joint custody. Children only see their 'mom and dad' and know little else. To be...
Asked in Holidays and Traditions, France, French Language and Culture, Children and Divorce

Why do French children put sticky fish on their parents?

In France, what English speakers call an April Fool is called Poisson d'Avril or April Fish. Young children stick fish on the backs of their friends and family as a joke. The origins of April Fool and April Fish are on this website. ...
Asked in Parenting and Children, Custody, Divorce and Marriage Law, Children and Divorce

What rights do you have as a stepfather?

Legally, none. The law does not recognize stepparents as having any legal rights to make decisions for a non-biolgical minor child. Issues concerning discipline, financial obligation, etc. to the child are left to the married couple to decide. ...
Asked in Divorce and Marriage Law, Marriage, Children and Divorce

Can your wife stop you from seeing your children prior to a divorce?

If there is no court order against you seeing your children then she cannot stop you from spending time with your children. If she persists then you should seek legal advice. ...
Asked in Pregnancy, Parenting and Children, Children and Divorce

What should you do if your parents will be upset about your pregnancy?

== == == == == == == == == == No parent wants to see their daughter pregnant at a young age and before she is married. It happens a lot and you aren't the first, nor will you be the last. I can understand your fear, but please, just take a deep breath and tell them. They will probably be angry, but most parents are there for support. Before talking to them you will have to think about whether you...
Asked in Children and the Law, Colleges and Universities, Children and Divorce, College Finance

Who pays for college if your parents get a divorce?

Even though parents get a divorce they each can pay their 1/2 of their child(rens) college. Many students have to put themselves through college, so it may be possible you may have to find work and go to college too. It depends on how financially secure the parents(s) is. Children should never think that it's their parents responsibility alone to put them through college. Work never hurt anyone. In the state of Pennsylvania, over the age of 18 (and graduated from high...
Asked in Custody, Children and the Law, Child Support, Children and Divorce

Is there a law against keeping a child from seeing his parent on court-ordered visitation rights?

Yes. The custodial parent is required to obey the court order or face sanctions that may eventually include loss of custody. The non-custodial parent must stay on top of the situation and file a motion for contempt of a court order. It is extremely difficult to contend with a non-compliant parent and the most difficulty is experienced by the child. Courts do not take that type of behavior lightly. See related question link. ...
Asked in Parenting and Children, Child Labor, Children and Divorce

Should parents charge their grown children room and board if they're living in their parents' house?

I paid my parents 250 pounds a month when i got my first full time job at 17.We had to buy our own clothes and toiletries from our earnings aswell. My dad told me it would teach me the value of money and he was so right.I moved out a few years ago now and i know how to manage my money. Your kids will think it's harsh but honestly it's the best thing to do, I'll do it when...
Asked in Divorce and Marriage Law, Intrigue and Unsolved Mysteries, Children and Divorce, Divorce

Who does divorce affect?

Divorce affects many people, especially the innocent children who are the bystanders thinking it was their fault that mommy and daddy broke up. My son was 12 when his mother and I separated - he thought it was his fault and it took years of gentle conversation on my part to convince him otherwise. My son now understands, but 6 years ago his mom passed away quite suddenly (she was re-married) and so he no longer has a bio mom, just me...
Asked in Custody, Child Support, Children and Divorce

Can a mother deny visitation rights to the father when they are separated?

No. A mother has no such power. Only a court can deny visitation rights of a father. During a marriage both parents have equal rights concerning the child. If she wants to stop visits with the father she must petition the court and provide compelling evidence that it is in the best interest of the children. The court will investigate and review the situation and render a decision. ...