Home Electricity
Personal Safety and Security
Electrical Wiring
Hazardous Materials Training

Can you be shocked touching a covered wire?

Answer

User Avatar
Wiki User
03/11/2011

No ... unless it is damp or wet... Remember that you can get shocked by touching a single bare wire if you happen to be standing on a damp or flooded floor of a building or on bare earth.

If you happen to touch two bare wires at the same time, you could then be completing the electrical circuit that would normally be connected to a switch or socket outlet.

For safety's sake, be sure to turn off the circuit breaker - or remove the fuse - for the associated wiring before you ever attempt to do any work on it.

As always, if you are in doubt about what to do, the best advice anyone should give you is to call a licensed electrician to advise what work is needed.

Before you do any work yourself,

on electrical circuits, equipment or appliances,

always use a test meter to ensure the circuit is, in fact, de-energized.

IF YOU ARE NOT ALREADY SURE YOU CAN DO A JOB

SAFELY AND COMPETENTLY

REFER THE WORK TO QUALIFIED PROFESSIONALS.