Child Support
Retirement Planning
Medicare and Medicaid

Can you receive back pay child support if your on Medicaid?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2009-10-26 00:40:40
2009-10-26 00:40:40

When you sign up for any type of government aid you sign your right to claim support.


Related Questions

I live in Indiana, and I know they keep child support to pay back TANF (welfare) In some instances Medicaid as well. Every state might be different. In my state regardless of how much child support a person gets they only receive the first $50 if they get a welfare check and the rest goes to the state. They wont take it for food stamps.

when i filed for child support, and my sons "sperm donor" was required to pay child support, he also was required to pay back medicaid, wic etc.. i believe he is only paying 50$ a month. but the loser got lucky cuz my son was only on medicaid for about 4 months. But as far as i know, yes.. they do have to pay it back.

Generally, no. Although child support is for the child, it is payable to the custodian and/or the State.

You will not receive child support if the other parent is in jail because there is no income to garnish. Their back child support will add up and you can file contempt charges for nonpayment of child support.

She is entitled to child support regardless of where either of you live. It is your child and you must help support him/ her, and no, she does not have to move back to Nevada.

... eligible to receive food stamps [SNAP] ... yes

yes u will because of the child support order, but the tax return will be split between you and his ex-wife. he wont receive nothing..

It's likely that one or more States has notified the US State Department of your child support arrearage and, if so, you will not receive a passport. Child support debt is not discharged in bankruptcy.

Generally, no - although there might be an exception for a severely disabled child.

Most states do not allow a child to collect back support as an adult. Although the right to child support belongs to the child, support is payable to the custodial parent to assist in the care and upbringing of that child. If the custodial parent did not receive that support, then she (or he) made contributions that should have come from the other parent, and the right to collect the back support belongs to her.

You should visit the court and ask to speak with Child Support Enforcement. You can file a claim in the estate.

Provided that it doesn't involve payment for arrears, than yes.

If by "back pay" you mean retroactive support, that is typically awarded with the entry of the original order for current support,

The custodial parent, it is assumed that he or she supported the child with their income. If however a state agency was involved in the support of the child that agency would receive the arrearages.

I receive $800. prmonth, child support is garnishing $500. pr. Month How do I reduce the garnishments

Only if the claim was kept active after age 18.

No. The purpose of collecting back child support is to financially reimburse the custodial parent for the support he or she provided in the past. It is not intended to provide present or future support. The debt is owed entirely to the mother in this case, since she was the one who provided financial support to the child. There are cases in which an adult can receive the back child support owed to their parent, but these usually involve the death of that parent.

Meaning of "back pay" is unclear; however, children may receive RSDI benefits based on the obligor's SSA account. Such a benefit is considered child support. If that benefit exceeds the amount ordered for child support, the obligor does not owe any additional payment.

Only if an order was already in place and your mother is deceased.

age of child does not matter when comes to back support

You certainly can, so long as there was an order for child support when you had the child. If arrears accumulated and the other parent now has the child, you are still entitled to the arrears. If there was not a preexisting order for support when you had the child, you might be able to receive retro support, though the laws vary from state to state.

Your Social Security eligibility is not affected by your receipt of child support. One is for you; the other is for your child.

You have to pay the amount of child support ordered by the courts. The only way your inheritance might come into play is if your ex decides to take you back to court to get more child support.

Copyright © 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.