Asked in

Do people go in caves?


User Avatar
Wiki User
March 06, 2013 11:31PM

The activity is called spelunking, and many people are wild about it.


Yes many people are very enthusiastic about it - but they rarely if ever call it 'spelunking'. This American slang word seems to used by cavers only in the US, and then only to deride dilettantes and novices. I've never seen it in US cavers' publications such as the National Speleological Society's journal.

The correct word throughout the English-speaking word is "caving" and the enthusiast is a "caver".