Child Support
Emancipation and Ages for Moving Out

Do you pay child support even if the child goes away to college?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2009-04-22 23:13:28
2009-04-22 23:13:28

A parent quits paying child support when the child reaches the age of 18


Related Questions

A person may have to pay child support even if the child is 18 and in college and has a medical condition. This may be true if the person owes back child support.

No. The money isn't for the mother. The money is for supporting the child. Back child support belongs to the estate of the deceased and will eventually benefit the child. And even if the child should die, the back child support does not go away.

Child support arrears do not go away. They must be paid even after the child reached the age of majority and the child support order is no longer in effect.

If the child is in university they are still considered a dependant in some states and child support still needs to be paid even if they are over 18.

When the child is adopted or have reached 18 or 21 depending on what the child support order says and state law. Even when it ends at 18 it can be possible to ask for support until the child is 21 and finish college.

He will still have to pay child support even though he signs his rights away.

It depends on where you are. In the majority of states in the US (maybe even in all of them), child support continues past 18 if the child is still in high school. In some states, child support can be ordered to continue during college.

Even though you may not legally be bound to pay child support, your child does not stop being your child and you do not stop being their parent just because they turned 18 and you should continue to support them. The Above answer was not the answer to this individuals question at all. You may still have to pay child support depending on what state your child support was filed out of. Double check and see if child support stops at the Age of Majority or if you have a few years after that, also check at what age child support stops when they are enrolled as a full time student in college.

Maybe. Even though most child support obligations will cease once the child reaches the legal age of majority for the state in which he or she resides the child support order always dictates when suchsupport should end. If the concerned parent does not have a copy of the support order they can contact the clerk of the court where the support order was mandated for officialinformation.

Various state laws apply and there is no one definitive answer. In general at the age of majority or when the child moves away from the custodial spouse. Some states provide for continuation of support while the child goes to college even after the age of majority and in cases where the child is disabled in any way.

Yes, if your divorce decree outlines that you must pay child support until your child reaches age 18 you will have to continue to pay even though they have dropped out of school. Once they turn 18 and do not go to college, your child support will quit.

if you have the child. And even when he does.

Yes. The minor child still have to eat and wear clothes etc even though they are not in school. You have to at least pay until they are 18.

Not exactly. In Illinois, child support cannot be ordered past the age of majority but "education support" can be. One or even both parents may be ordered to pay education support, based on the child's academic expenses. Education support must also be ordered by a judge, separately from a child support order.

It depends on the state. Some states require that child support be paid until the child graduates high school, even if they're over 18. A few states require child support up to age 21 if they're enrolled in college and still living with the custodial parent.

Can a mother still keep her child from seeing the father even if he doesn't pay child support?"

Often a support order will address such issues as whether or not support should continue while the "child' continues his or her education even if said person has reached the age of majority. However, such support has to be reasonably based. This means that the obligated parent will not have to support an adult child if that person chooses to be a professional student. In most cases the court will allow child support to cease when the child reaches the legal age regardless of his or her educational status.

Yes. The spouse of a single parent who is raising a child will no longer have to pay child support after the child is out of school and is 18 years old or above. Note that laws do vary from state to state. So, it may be that the time is extended until 19 if the child is in school, or even 21 if the child attends college.

If you are a parent of a child, then you would provide support for the child, even if you do not have custody.

Any father can be sued for child support, and even those who are not the father of the child.

Yes. Even if your "ex" gets married the child is still your child and you have to support your own child.

Yes child support is paid even when parents don't live together.

Your ex might be looking for support during college. In some States, parental responsibility extends beyond age 18, even if the child is no longer in school. Also, support often continues into adulthood for severely disabled children.

Usually not, as the child is usually over 18. However, that parent is still responsible for any late child support payments that they might still owe. When my brother's 19-year-old girlfriend went back to school, she had to go to court to collect several hundred dollars that her father owed in back payment. By law, the child is still entitled to the money even if it is late.

In almost every state child support stops at 18 years old, 19 if still in high school. If you want the other parent to help pay for College, you must have a stipulation put in the Divorce/Child Support decree. In almost every state there is no way to enforce a parent to pay Child Support past the age of majority. Check the laws in your state for exact age.

Copyright ยฉ 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.