How can the buyer get an tempory tag when you buy from an privite ower?

You do not need a temporary tag if the vehicle is already licensed and current. Otherwise you need to license and pay for a new years tabs. If you are going a long ways or are buying out of state you will need to get a temporary permit from the state you are in which you would display in the rear window. Depending on what state you are in it is usually the D.O.T. Hope this helps.