Homeowner's Insurance
Workers Compensation

How do I as homeowner get around a liability for a contractor that does not have workman's comp insurance?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2014-03-21 21:31:37
2014-03-21 21:31:37

You don't. You simply hire a reputable contractor who provides the insurance necessary for his or her line of work. Never hire a contractor who can not show you that he is properly insured for the job being offered.

It is the contractors responsibility ( not the customer ) to provide coverage necessary to cover his workers as well as any accidental damage to your property.

If your contractor give you any flak or hesitancy at all when asked about his insurance, you need to find another contractor.

User Avatar

Related Questions

You should hire a licensed contractor. He should already have liability insurance and workmen's comp for his employees. If you do not hire a properly licensed contractor, all the liability for anything tha might go wrong falls on you. If your insurance company discovers that you hired an unlicensed contractor, they could, and probably will, deny payment on any claims you may file. Tread cautiously!

Your state law will determine how much liability the association is required to carry, depending on whether you are an employee or a contractor.

Contractor Liability InsuranceNo, You can purchase Contractors Liability Insurance as a standalone coverage. Many companies offer Contractors Liability coverage with or without your workman's compensation coverage. Depending on the nature of your business structure, you may not even need Workers comp coverage.It is perfectly fine for you to purchase the two coverages separately. You may however get a better rate if purchased together because some companies will offer you a discount for placing multiple policies with the same company.

Workers compensation insurance is nothing more than "workers compensation insurance". Your question is similar to asking what type of auto liability insurance does a person who drives a car need. There is not "type of workmans com" insurance. Just ask your local insurance agent to help you obtain workers compensation insurance and he will give you a quote.

In some states being a sole proprietor with no employees allows you a waiver for the state required workmans comp insurance. However, many large companies as well as state and federal projects will require WC insurance, regardless of the waiver status.

Yes, if you own a business, you can not collect workmans comp for yourself.

Workman's Comp is for employees. If you are the owner and operator, you need standard health insurance. Health insurance won't pay for your lost wages, won't pay survivor benefits, and if you receive a serious injury, who will pay for your health insurance? Comp has lifetime medical benefits for injuries, and it doesn't depend on future premiums. A less expensive option is Occupational Accident and Contingent Liability - they aren't the same as Comp, but they can meet your needs. Talk to your independent insurance agent and your (General) Contractor. Also, many states are "ladder states," meaning liability goes up the ladder until someone can pay, so your (General) Contractor is probably right in requiring you to either have Comp or take it out of your pay so he can carry it for you. Some states REQUIRE him to do this.

If you are the sole owner / employee of your s-corp, workers comp insurance is not required in CA, however some companies you do contract work for may require you to have wc insurance or some type of liability or health insurance.

can a employer make the employee pay weekly for workmans comp or disability insurance

Licensed sub-contractors are usually required to obtain their own workers comp insurance and provide proof of same to anyone who hires him.

Workmans Compensation Insurance is a good way to get insurance coverage without emptying out your wallet. You can find more information about the rules and responsibilities and other information on this website: www.workmanscompinsurance.net/faq.html

To start with you would definitely need liability. And if you have employees workmans comp. You don't state what type of business you're in and I don't know if there would be any specialized insurance involved. Do your research and start calling ins. brokers. A 2: Sounds lke you might need Public liability insurance (covers the cost of compensation from anybody injured). You still need to check with your insurance broker before making any decision on the type of insurance you require -------------- subcontractors normally are required to carry and be able to verify their workers comp and state unemployment insurance. There is sometimes a performance bond required for the amount of the work. If vehicles are involved at least basic liability coverage which covers business use of the vehicles. You will most likely be required to sign an agreement indemnifying the owner or general contractor from liability for you workmanship, procedures etc. As above a public liability policy is a good idea to protect yourself.

Where can I find an exemption from workman's compensation form? Thanks Dee

yes, any business needs to have insurance ,if they have a employee on the books.

It depends on the insurance company and their particular experience with the kind of work, number of employees, loss history, management, company's safety program, areas of operation and more. Your insurance agent can discuss options. If you're self-employed, ask about Occupational Accident and Contingent Liability instead of Workers' Compensation.

By law, it's optional for sole proprietors. Reality can be different though. In the construction trades most general contractors will require any subs who are sole proprietors to have workmans comp. This is what their insurance companies require. If a sub doesn't have workmans comp the insurance company adds their wages to the gc's bill.

This is usually called "Workers' Compensation Insurance", or "Workers' Comp" / "Workmans Comp" for short.

The employer, the insurance company, your state board of insurance and your state's workers' compensation bureau are all good to contact about Work Comp insurance fraud.

An employer should not charge a 1099 employee for workman's comp. If you get a 1099 you are not in an employer, employee relationship You are an independent contractor.

Genrally this means that there is one owner of a business. There are no partners, investors, etc.

if your employer doesn't have workers comp insurance then you sue the company directly. Find a good lawyer.

That depends. Most states require that homeowner policies include workers comp coverage. It is intended to cover household employees, such as a maid or nanny. Regardless of whether or not you need the coverage, if your state department of insurance requires it be on the policy then you cannot have it removed. Call your agent to see if it's a state requirement or something they simply chose to add on.

Yes, Your Credit will be important in determining your risk factor for any commercial policy. You can still buy the coverage with poor credit but you pay a higher premium.

Because everyone deserves the American dream of Sharing the wealth thus a decent plumbing helper would make $25 per hr in the envelope and then there is health insurance and liability insurance and workmans comp ins and over head and profit . Being a "citizen of the world" it is your democratic duty to never ever complain no matter how much it cost to hire someone .. Just pay the bill and be thankful

Copyright ยฉ 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.