How do professional leaders assume responsibility?
It depends. Assuming responsibility is adopting the power to
address issues. There are 5 sources of power which are
1. Charisma - Professional leaders rarely operate on charisma
and it often has little to with resposibility - just ask anyone who
studies the history of the Third Reich!
2. Reward - in essence if you do something I'll give you
something nice in return.
3. Coercion - the opposite of reward, you do something or I'll
make something bad happen to you.
4. Expert - greater knowledge allows you to have your word
accepted as the right thing to do.
5. Position - being a particular role makes you the conduit of
information which you can restrict or edit to suit your own
purposes. Professional leaders have position power given to them
and usually have some element of the others with the exception of
charisma. Each of these is used in varying amounts to suit the