To protect yourself and your car, disconnect your battery before doing any kind of work that involves the electrical system of your car.
1. Remove the alternator/serpentine belt, either by pushing the spring loaded belt tensioner back using a 15mm wrench (a pain in the arse), or by cutting it with a knife (much easier), seeing as you should replace it during this process anyways.
2. Completely remove the bolt on the top left of the alternator using a 15mm wrench (viewing from front of the car)
3. Loosen (you don't need to completely remove) the top right bolt using a 15mm socket and extender
4. Remove the lower mounting bolt from the alternator (also 15mm), you may wish to temporarily remove the coolant reservoir (13mm bolt, I think)for easier access to this bolt and the belt tensioner.
5. Disconnect the two wires attached to the alternator, one is a plug, the other is a screw on type.
6. Finagle the alternator out of the engine bay, (once again, easier with the coolant reservoir out of the way)
Now complete steps 1-6 in reverse order, the only part that should require much force is pushing back the belt tensioner, you will need a 15mm box end wrench (get the longest one you have available out for torque), as a normal socket wrench won't have clearance, and be careful not to let the wrench slip and hit the hand you are using to slide the belt on, you could end up with a broken finger.
The 2001 Cavalier has the regulator built into the alternator. As this is an integrated component the alternator and regulator are changed as a single unit.
You do not, this is controlled by the ECM through advance and retard of spark plug spark.
how do i change the alternator in my 2001 ford focus?
how do you change a thermostat sensor in a 2001 Chevy cavalier and where is it
The charcoal canister should be on the passenger side of a 2001 Cavalier. It should be close to the front bumper.
For a Cavalier 2005-1995 driverside is 22" and the passenger 17"
The 2001 Chevy Cavalier IAT sensor can be found on the right side of the transmission. The sensor will be near the front of the transmission.
How do you replace timing chain & water pump on a2001 Chevrolet cavalier
The 2.2 and 2.4 litre four cylinder engines in a 2001 Chevrolet Cavalier have a timing CHAIN
2 4x6's and 2 6x9's
It is built into the alternator , It's all 1 unit.
Traction Control is off.
Chevrolet does not use inertia/reset switches.
Answer: Transmission DipstickThere is not a dipstick for the transmission on a 2001 chev. cavalier, you can check the transfer fluid and it is located underneath the master cylinder.Motor T Mechanic- USMC
The water pump is located right under the alternator in the 2001 Cavalier. In order to get to it, you will need to remover the alternator, and the bracket that holds the alternator in place. I just changed the water pump on mine this weekend, so if you need any more assistance, e-mail me with the subject heading cavi. firstname.lastname@example.org
Begin by removing the alternator belt from your 2001 Chevy Express alternator. Remove the wiring harness from the back of the alternator. Remove the alternator retaining bolts. Reverse the process to install the new alternator.
There isn't one, just the cap on the coolant recovery tank.
The started relay is located on the radiator reinforcment. It is a small grey box
4 quarts. Read your owners manual, find crankcase capacity.
Should be right by the throttle body.
You can remove the windshield washer fluid tank from your 2001 Chevy Cavalier by removing the retaining bolts. There will be for retaining bolts at the bottom of the windshield washer fluid tank.
no way i tryed that swap and didnt work ecu computer changed