How do you get visitation if your child lives in another state?

You travel to the state with jurisdiction (that would be where the child legally resides) to file a motion for modification to custody/visitation or hire an attorney to do this on your behalf. While filing may be done by another person on your behalf, a hearing will be held based on such a filing and you will be expected to attend unless there is a legal and compelling reason why you cannot. Then, again, an attorney may act as your representative. However, it is more favorable to you if you can be there in person.