This is from a previous post, but it is 3/4's of the way you need to get to lock.Your answer will continue at #s with the word Added! BUT REMEMBER, YOUR CAR HAS "ARS-AIRBAGS!!!YOU WILL DEFINATELY NEED TO DISABLE AIRBAGS. BY REMOVING NEGATIVE BATTERY TERMINAL & PLAESE WAIT A FEW MINUTES FOR SYSTEM TO STABILIZE.THEN WHEN YOU ARE WORKING IN/UNDER OR AROUND COLUMN, ("DO NOT" DISCONNECT,CUT,SLICE,PROBE WITH TESTER OR TIE INTO ANY OF THE AIRBAG SYSTEM WIRES,THEY ARE "YELLOW" AND SHOULD BE CLEARLY MARKED/TAGGED WITH A STICKER TELLING YOU WHAT THEY ARE)ANY DAMAGE TO THEM COULD MAKE THEM DEPLOY WHEN POWER IS SENT BACK THROUGH ELECTRICAL SYSTEM WITH REATTACHMENT OF NEGATIVE CABLE.
IF YOU FEEL THIS IS BEYOND YOUR SCOPE OF REPAIR, THEN HAVE A DEALER OR QUALIFIED GARAGE DO THIS PROCEEDURE FOR YOU!!!
BUT IT IS POSSIBLE FOR YOU TO DO, IF YOU TAKE YOUR TIME, CHECK ALL WIRING, AND BE VERY CAREFUL.
YOU SHOULD NOT EVEN BEGIN TO THINK OF DOING THIS UNLESS YOU HAVE A "HAYNES REPAIR MANUAL" FOR GUIDENCE. THEY ARE VERY COMPLETE, ACCURATE, AND THERE ARE PICTURES OF IMPORTANT PARTS AND POINTS. < $16.00 IS WORTH THE TRIP.A trip to the Hospital Will Cost a Lot more ;-(
How to put Black Plastic piece back? & How to replace ingnition lock while in here.
"How does the black plastic piece that actuates the turn signal hi-lo beam it fit into place with tilt wheel on a 1989 Chevy Camaro?"
This could be a long answer! But hopefully your familiar with the workings of the steering column?
A lot of pieces are black plastic. If you have already taken it apart,then try to reverse the process to install! (ex: last piece out-will be first piece to go back in, and so on)
If your turn signal lever fell out, it is held in place by a screw! To access this screw, you will need some specialty tools,& Patience!!!
1) This is? an 1989 correct! Then you shouldn't have to deal with AirBag. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ v v v v v v v v v v v v v Added): Pretty much all Ignition locks are the same, its getting to them that is the hard part. 1990 and newer will have AirBags.
2) You will need a (steering wheel puller),(A special tool to remove steering column lock ring)(snap ring pliers),(2 small flat head screw drivers),(medium Phillips head screw driver),(a medium duty socket set)(locktite blue temporary thread sealant).(Added): For lock removal you will also need Hex Keys and/or Torx Bit drivers or sockets type and needle nose pliers.
No other tools should be needed, unless you plan on going past the turn signal cancel cam! DO NOT WORRY ABOUT THE TILT MECHANISM, WHICH IS PAST WHERE YOU WILL BE WORKING! CAUTION! CAUTION! DO NOT ATTEMP TO DISSASEMBLE THE TILT, IT HAS VERY STRONG SPRINGS UNDER PRESSURE, THAT COULD HURT YOU BAD IF THIS IS NOT DONE CORRECTLY. The tilt has nothing to do with turn and high/low beam switch!!! "NOW" to put turn signal lever back in.
1) To be safe and not blow fuses, disconnect negative battery cable. Added: (Or deploy AirBag System)^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
2) Make sure your wheels are facing straight ahead, and lock ignition/steering wheel and remove "KEY" Make sure steering wheel is locked! Added:^^This is Very Important with AirBag System^^^^^
3) Remove horn cover,and try not to bend any metal strips on steering wheel which are for the horn. Added: On 1996 you will remove Airbag Cover by removing screws from rear of steering wheel.
4) Remove steering wheel nut, then attach steering wheel puller and remove steering wheel from shaft.
5) You should now be looking at a Round black plastic cover! Remove this cover and remember how it was on. Be careful of the little button/spring sticking up, which is for the horn, remove it but don't lose it. Added: You will come face to face with the "Clock Spring", It is very important that you remember how the "Clock Spring" is in, before you pull it out and disconnect it? It must go back the same way, plus there are Tabs and Alignment marks that must match up. And a snap ring that holds airbag coil on.
6) NOW you will need your Specialty Tool to remove column lock plate. Make sure you ONLY DEPRESS LOCK PLATE enough to get Small Lock Ring off and out of groove. This can be frustrating if the "Original" lock ring is in there, because you will need the 2 small screw drivers to pry it out carefully. Note: Depressing lock plate further than needed to remove lock ring, CAN & WILL CRUSH SIGANL CAM & DESTROY IT!! Be careful!!!
7 Now you are right where you want to be! Looking at the white plactic cancelling ring on column, look to the left of it, and you should see a horizontal grove and a screw? (Note: There are 3 other screws that sit lower into holes! Don't remove them unless you plan on removing cancelling cam). If you don't see a screw in the hole in grove, then hopefully it came out with turn signal arm? But to be safe, you should check around a little inside where you are working to see if it fell in column? If it is in there and not removed, it could cause problems later. If it's in site, use a small magnet to retrieve it. Added: For lock removal, you need to remove hazard warning knob/screw, top of cancel cam assembly, turn signal lever, and then 3 turn signal screws and then turn signal switch. Under the turn signal you find the Key Buzzer switch and clip that you will remove with needle nose pliers. Then insert Key into ignition and leave in lock position, then remove Torx head screw that is holding lock in column, then carefully pull Key/lock together straight out! Pause, and diconnect Pass-Key Electrical Connector and remove retaining clip from housing cover. Install new Key/Lock unit together, and reverse the removal process.
Nothing Added beyond here, but continued reading is advised.
8 But assuming you have the screw or a new one, feed the small end of turn signal arm thru colar hole, and fit it into grove on plastic cam. Put some Blue locktite on screw, and attach signal arm. Make sure any writing on signal arm is facing you,(such as cruise control or wipers)then secure arm to cam.
9 Note: A rod runs down the steering column from the back of cam, to a switch for the High/Low beams. You should not have to deal with this unless you are having a problem with it! If it ain't broke, don't touch it!! All the connectors and switches on lower column and under dash become very brittle with age and break very easily, and some are very difficult to work on or replace.
10 Your half way done. Now reverse the process and remember, last part out will be first part in and so forth and so on. DON'T CRUSH SIGNAL CAM WHEN DEPRESSING LOCK PLATE TO ATTACH LOCK RING! MAKE SURE YOU PLACE LOCK PLATE FIRST, THEN LOCK RING ON SHAFT, AND THEN THE SPECIALTY TOOL. IF YOU FORGET LOCK RING AND GET PLATE DEPRESSED, THERES NO WAY TO GET LOCK RING ON, AND YOU WILL HAVE TO REMOVE AND START OVER FROM THAT POINT.
Not sure if this will help you, but good luck, and most of all, take your time and put everything back the same way, and secure tightly. "Patience is a Virtue" Do it right the first time, and you only do it once! Don't forget, it's not the driving, but the "NUT BEHIND THE WHEEL"
70 GTO JUDGE 72 Monte Carlo 87 Camaro 2.8L 91 Camaro 3.1L 96 Camaro Z28 LT1 96 Buick Regal Custom 3.8L
God I love "GM" Sometimes - LOL!
MANUALS ARE GREAT FOR ALL REPAIRS, BUT ESPECIALLY WITH THE AIRBAG AREA!!!!AND PROCEEDURES THAT JUST AREN'T AS SIMPLE AS THEY APPEAR TO BE :-)
Anyone have anything to add, that I might have left out, PLEASE DO, as this can be a complicated area for a Novice!
You will need to remove the retaining ring from the top of your 1997 Chevy Camaro ignition switch. The ignition switch will slide out. Remove the wiring harness. Reverse the process to install the new ignition switch.
Remove the retaining ring at the top of your Chevy S 10 ignition lock cylinder. Slide the ignition lock cylinder out. Remove the wiring harness from the back of the ignition lock cylinder. Reverse the process to install the new ignition lock cylinder.
You will need to remove the retaining ring from the top of your 1975 Chevrolet pickup truck ignition cylinder. Slide the ignition cylinder out and remove the wiring harness. Reverse the process to install the new ignition cylinder.
Remove the retaining ring from the top of your 1997 Chevrolet 1500 ignition cylinder. Slide the ignition cylinder out and remove the wiring harness.
You can remove the 2000 Chevrolet Astro Van the ignition switch cylinder by removing the retaining ring. The retaining ring will need to be turned to the left. The ignition switch cylinder will slide out.
How do i change the ignition switch in a 1988 Chevy camaro
this site will help
Insert the key, turn backwards to the accessory position. Insert a paper clip into the hole in the switch and push while turning the key counterclockwise. The cylinder will come out.
How do I remove the rear shocks on a 2002 chevy camaro convertible?
Turn it, then pull up and out.
I broke my key in the ignition and cant get it out. My only option I can see, is to replace to tumbler. How do I remove it?
can I switch ignition cylinder with a different ignition cylinder w/key in a 2004 chevy Malibu without having to use a passcode
The ignition is removed by taking down the kick panel below the steering wheel. They are a bear to get out. Make sure you have the whole cylinder assembly because they most often break apart when you remove them.
the ignition keys are dealer only items.
you can use the car blank key to open it.
Without the key you are going to have to drill it out.
how to remove key stuck in ignition switch in Chevy colbalt
How to remove ignition switch
It is inside the distributor
The ignition lock cylinder on a 2006 Chevy Cobalt is removed by popping off the steering column cover and inserting a screwdriver into the release hole. The cylinder can then be pulled from its housing and replaced.
Remove the retaining ring from the top of your 1989 Chevy Corvette ignition switch. Slide the ignition switch out and remove the wiring harness.
Pull the steering wheel with a puller tool, remove the lockplate with a lockplate tool, remove the turn signal assembly, remove the hazzard switch, remove the brass connector, remove the lock cylinder.
Remove the retaining ring from the top of your 1999 Chevy Cavalier ignition switch. Slide the ignition switch out and remove the wiring harness from the end of it.