Home Electricity
New Electrical Work
Modification of Old Electrical Work

How do you run a new breaker box in a detached garage from the existing breaker box in the house?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2015-07-15 19:08:46
2015-07-15 19:08:46
for USA, Canada and countries running a 60 Hz power supply service.This is too involved to answer in a few short sentences. Get an electrician to do the work safely or a really good book on the subject.


One thing that most home owners don't understand, although the NEC is quite clear on this, is that if the sub-panel is in a detached building, it gets its own ground. You don't run a ground wire from the main panel to the sub-panel. Rather, you run only the neutral and two hots, and bond the neutral to the ground within the sub-panel, then ground it to an 8 foot long rod pounded into the ground, or other appropriate ground.

This is all quite different from the sub-panel being in the same building as the main panel. In that case, you run a separate ground wire, and don't bond the neutral and the ground at the sub-panel.


As always, if you are in doubt about what to do, the best advice anyone should give you is to call a licensed electrician to advise what work is needed.

Before you do any work yourself,

on electrical circuits, equipment or appliances,

always use a test meter to ensure the circuit is, in fact, de-energized.





Related Questions

User Avatar

All depends on what type of equipment you are going to operate in the garage. I would suggest you call an electrician. You can connect to your existing 100 amp circuit if there is an empty spot for a breaker.

User Avatar

Short answer is Yes. If a garage conversion is carried out you no longer own a link detached house but a semi-detached, indeed if the next house did the same thing you would then live in a terriced house not a link detached

User Avatar

A link detached house is a house that is only joined to another by a garage or just ground flor rom :(((((

User Avatar

A semi detached house has one side of the house that will be attached to another house. A detached house has no shared walls. Most semi detached houses have the garage wall as the shared wall so there is less noise heard from either house.

User Avatar

No. Any connections to the detached garage have to be after the main disconnect of your house panel. You have two options here. You can replace meter with a meter disconnect combo and have the main feed your house and add a breaker to feed the garage or You could install a 400 ap service and place two disconnects at the meter. one for the house and one for the garage. unless you are going to have a serious electrial load in the garage you sould just feed off the panel in the house for cost effectiveness.

Copyright © 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.