How long does it take to write a book?
Everyone writes at their own pace! You will take as long as you take to write, so don't worry about it. Nora Roberts is a very fast writer, and usually publishes several books in one year. Jim Butcher tends to write one book every year or so. Start writing and see how long it takes!
Having imagination, it takes you an hour to write a paragraph that, if you were unimaginative, would take you only a minute. Or you might not write the paragraph at all.
Franklin P. Adams
- It depends on how long you want your book to be. If its a long book, it will probably take a long time. If its a short book, it won't take as long.
- Excellent question. The answer is that it completely depends. There is a group called NaNoWriMo that joins together to support each other every year to try to write a novel in a month. A lot of them get a TON of words cranked out. I tried it once, and it is hard. So, the time depends on the writer, and the writer's writing speed depends on inherent qualities and also on other distractions. Having a family and/or another job besides writing can lengthen the process incredibly. ...
- Some writers crank out a couple of books a year. Others take a couple of years to write a book. The publishing part also depends... how many rejection slips do you go through before someone accepts it? How fast does the publishing company work? When will they choose to have it come out from a marketing perspective? I'd say, in very, very general terms... give yourself at *least* a year.
- It is dependent on your commitment and dedication. You can perhaps go for a year of more. Some writers even come up with a novel for a month. Check the National Novel Writing month requirements.
- Take as much time as you want. Some writers even take a year or two years off just to replenish creative juices.
- If you work really hard on it, every day, then it might take a few months and then some edting after.
- Try setting a goal of an amount of words or pages to do every day, and don't stop until you have reached that goal. If you are on a roll, keep going if you want and exceed your limit.
- With academic writing, the research is much more time-consuming than the actual writing.
- An important factor is also previous experience of writing.
Every author has his or her own speed.
Write what you want and don't worry about what everyone else is doing!