How many ancient Roman gods are there?
- Jupiter- He was the king of the Roman gods, he is also the brother of Neptune and Pluto. Married to Juno but was often known to have affair with mortal women. He was also the god of the sky, and of thunder. He is the father of Hercules. And defeated the titans - including his own father Cronus.
- Neptune- He was Jupiter's brother, and the god of the sea. Neptune was also the god of various other terrestrial phenomena, such as earthquakes. He often wielded a trident. Many sailors prayed to Neptune before they sailed in hopes of good sailing weather.
- Pluto- He was another of Jupiter's brothers, and the god who looked over the underworld, where the spirits of the dead mortals were kept. Pluto was also the god of wealth, and he carried a bident. He did not live on Mount Olympus, but remained in the underworld as some say he ws imprisoned there by his brother Jupiter. Pluto is party famous for kidnapping Proserpine and making her his bride.
- Juno- She was the most powerful goddess, as she was the sister of Jupiter, Neptune, Pluto, Ceres, and Vesta, and also Jupiter's wife. She was the goddess of childbirth, marriage, and women. Juno often carried a scepter. Juno was known be extremely jealous and vengenful in some cases e.g. Jupiter's love interests.
- Minerva- She was a daughter of Jupiter's, and the goddess of wisdom, strategy, and warfare. She had a particular fondness for Ulysses (Odysseus in Greek), because of his wisdom, and assisted him after the Trojan War. She had a rivalry with her brother Mars.
- Mars- He was the Roman god of war and conflict. Mars was a son of Jupiter's, and a brother of Minerva's. He often sported armor, shield, and sword, and was known for assisting the Trojans in the Trojan War. Mars was commonly known for his love of war and constant conflict with his sister.
- Apollo- A Roman god of many respects, such as archery, poetry, health and healing, medicine, and sometimes, the sun. He was one of Jupiter's sons, and the twin brother of Diana. Apollo was known for having many lovers but the relationships rarely lasted long.
- Diana- She was one of Jupiter's daughters, and was the goddess of hunting, animals, and the moon. Diana and Apollo were the children of Jupiter and his union with Leto. Diana was a virgin goddess and only took virgin followers.
- Venus- One of Jupiter's daughters, Venus was the Roman goddess of love and beauty. She was a lover of Mars, despite her marriage to Vulcan. Venus was the most beautiful of the goddesses. Venus was said to have been created when a drop of a titan's god fell into water. Venus then emerged from the sea on a giant clam shell. Venus was the mother of Eros, and Mars was the father.
- Ceres- She was a sister of Jupiter's, and the goddess of fertility and agriculture. She was also the mother of Proserpina.
- Bacchus- He was one of Jupiter's sons, and the god of wine, merriment, drunkenness, and festivities. He was often seen in the presence of grape vines.
- Vulcan- He was the god of fire, metals, and craftsmanship. He was one of Juno's sons, and the husband of Venus. Vulcan often forged weapons for other gods and heroes. Vulcan was known to have forged the unbreakable chains which held the titan Prometheus in place while he was punished. Those chains were rumored to even hold a god.
- Mercury- He was the messenger god, who also specialized in flight, thievery, and trading. Mercury was one of Jupiter's sons, and he wore winged boots.
- Vesta- One of Jupiter's sisters, she was the goddess of the hearth, and she also monitored family well-being and values in the lives of the ancient Romans.
Those are the main gods. However, there are 21 minor gods: Divus Augustus, Divus Julius, Fortuna, The Lares, Quirinus, Sol Invictus, Adranus, Averrunci, Averruncus, Bellona, Bona Dea, Bromius, Caelus, Castor and Pollux, Clitunno, Cupid, Dis Pater, Faunus, Glycon, Inuus, and Lupercus.
In total, 35 of the Roman gods where copied/renamed from the greek ones, Pollux being god of a new technology.