One 1964 or earlier silver quarter= 0.1808 of an ounce of silver. So, it takes about 6 90% silver quarters to make one ounce of silver. 6 silver quarters= 1.0851 ounces.
A quarter weighs 5.67 grams. So five clad quarters would equal one standard ounce.
US silver quarters weighed 6.25 gm. If you're referring to standard American weights, 1 ounce is 28.35 gm so it would take just under 5 quarters to equal an ounce. If you're referring to silver weight, the coins were 90% silver (i.e. 5.625 gm of pure metal) and a troy ounce is about 31.1 gm so you'd need about 5½ quarters to yield a troy ounce of silver.
U.S. quarters minted before 1965 weighed 6.25 grams and contain 90% silver, which comes out to 5.625 grams of silver per coin. One ounce is about 28.35 grams, so it would take five quarters to get one ounce (5.04 coins, to be more exact).
Sorry, the last year for a 90% silver quarter was 1964. No 1965 to date quarters have any silver except some special collectors coins (starting in 1975) that were not released into circulation.
1 troy ounce of silver is 31.103g
1 ounce = 28.3495231 grams quarter weighs 5.670 grams 28.3495231 divided by 5.670 grams = 4.99991590652557319 Therefore, four quarters would just be under one ounce and five quarters would be just over one ounce. Actually, there are almost exactly five modern US nickel-plated copper quarters in one ounce. The modern quarter, aka the Johnson sandwich, after Landslide Lyndon, during whose administration the debased copper coin replaced the silver quarter, weighs 5.670 grams. According to Google,
about 3 per ounce of silver
Silver & gold are weighed by the Troy ounce which is 31.1 grams.
For modern U.S. quarters like you find in change, none. They don't contain any silver - they're made of copper and nickel. For quarters dated 1964 and earlier, each one contains 5.625 gm of pure silver, almost exactly 1/5 of an ounce. So 5 old quarters contain a total of 1 oz of silver.
There are 2 quarters in half an ounce. Every whole unit of anything has 4 quarters.
if a silver dollar is 90% silver it would take 1 and 1/10th silver dollars to make an ounce of silver
It takes about 12.5 Mercury dimes to make a full ounce of silver. There are around 28.34 grams in an ounce and 2.25 grams of silver in a Mercury dime.
Quarter's don't weigh an ounce to start with, so it can't have any ounces of silver in it. All 90% silver U.S. quarters have .18084oz of pure silver.
So many were made that even uncirculated coins are only valued for the silver, about $5.00 Quarters can be silver from the dates 1964 and before. Silver quarters can range depending on the market price of silver. as of now, the silver price per ounce is $34. As of May 10, 2011. Find websites on line for the price per ounce. Although a silver quarter does not weigh a full ounce, it weighs very close to 1oz. Quarters weigh about half an ounce. As of now, silver quarters can range from $7-$20 depending on obverse and reverse value. A good place on line to find the market price for silver, gold, platinum, etc. go to monex.com It will show you charts, graphs, live updates and much more. And no I am not part of this website. Its the website I use.
31.1 grams in a troy ounce of silver.
One American Silver eagle dollar will make an ounce of silver. Only silver dollars dated 1935 and older contain silver. They contain about .77 troy ounces of silver. So about 1.3 Silver dollars 1935 and older would make an ounce of silver.
4 quarters = 1 dollar.
Less than 2. A silver dollar is 94% of a normal ounce, and 85% of a troy ounce. Keep in mind that this is for the entire coin, only 90% of it is silver with the remaining 10% being copper.
Quarter's don't weigh an ounce to start with, so it can't have any ounces of silver in it. As per the US Coinage act of 1792, the silver quarter was to be made of 6.01 g pure silver or 6.74 g standard silver. Standard silver is an alloy of 89.2% purity. A troy ounce is 32.15g, so yeh there is much less than an ounce in a quarter. Modern day quarters vary slightly in weight from the original Act but not enough to make any significant difference to their worth.
3/4 ounce equals 328.125 grains.
A mercury dime contains 0.0723 troy ounces of silver. You would need 13.83 mercury dimes to get 1 troy ounce of Silver.
One troy ounce of silver = 0.91146 gramsThere are thirty one grams in a Troyounce.
A bit less than 14 dimes makes a troy ounce of silver.
Depends on what type of coins we are looking at.Coins have been minted with weights ranging anywhere from 1/20th (or less!) of an ounce of silver to 5 ounces + of silver.
1 ounce = 28.3495231 grams