How was Ted Bundy Caught?

On November 8, 1974, Bundy finally slipped up when attempting to kidnap a woman named Carol DaRonch. He was posing as a police officer and managed to lure her into his car, where he tried to handcuff her. He only managed to get the cuffs on one wrist before the woman dove out of the car and ran away. DaRonch was able to identify Bundy to police and he was captured shortly after. He was convicted of attempted kidnapping on June 30, 1976 and sentenced to fifteen years in prison. On June 7, 1977, he was transferred to a state prison in Pitkin County, Colorado, where authorities were preparing to charge him with murder. However, he managed to escape the local courthouse during a recess by jumping out of a second story window. Unfortunately for Bundy, he had injured his ankle and was not able to escape the city before being captured the next week. Once back in jail, Bundy managed to pull off another miraculous escape. He stole a hacksaw from the facility and used it to saw a hole in the ceiling of his room. On December 30, 1977, he climbed into the ceiling and entered the main hallway of the prison. Since the front door guard was gone for the evening, he was able to stroll out the front door and take off in a stolen car. After other escapes and recaptures, finally on the morning of February 15, 1978, Bundy was pulled over by a traffic cop. When the plates registered stolen, he was identified and transported to Miami to stand trial for the sorority house murders. Bundy was easily convicted of the crimes and sentenced to death by the Honorable Edward Cowart. He was then tried in Orlando for the murder of Kimberly Leach and once again sentenced to death by Wallace Jopling. During this second trial, he married a female admirer named Carole Ann Boone in the courtroom, much to the horror of spectators. Bundy spent his time on death row conducting interviews with behavioral psychologists and helping to find other serial killers. He also appealed his case numerous times in order to get a stay of execution, but failed. His last desperate move consisted of confessing to eight unsolved murders and promising to reveal more information at a later date, but the execution was performed anyway.