If a grandmother has the child and the parent did not sign custody papers can the grand parent file for child support in the state of North Carolina?

Yes who ever has the child legally can file for child support. But you have to demonstrate to the court that the child has been residing with you and you have the physical custody and you want to keep the physical custody and give the other parent visitation and joint legal custody. This is the fastest way to get things done and a direct answer lol.