If a pregnant 16-year-old applies for public assistance will the baby's father affected?

I believe the answer may depend on which state you live in and whether you are married to your baby's daddy. Your welfare department should be able to answer that question best, and there should be no negative consequences to your simply asking that question. * In most states an unmarried female appying for public assistance will be required to supply the name of the father or in some cases the alleged father. The parents or guardian of the pregnant minor must make the application for her. If they do not wish to be involved the court can adjudge the minor to be legally emancipated to allow her to receive public assistance such as Medicaid. What action if any that would be taken in regards to the biological father being financially or otherwise responsible depends upon the individual circumstances of the case.