Child Support
Court Procedure

If temporary divorce orders were drawn up with the father paying court-ordered child support is he obligated to pay child support if he signs over parental rights before final court?

User Avatar
Wiki User
March 17, 2007 9:53PM

The father cannot relinquish his parental rights until the

divorce decree has been finalized. When that is done, he can file a

TPR suit it may or may not be granted and he may or may not be

relieved of his financial obligation. Relinquishment of parental

rights is generally granted to allow the minor child to become

eligible for adoption by the new spouse of the custodial parent,

not so the non custodial parent can escape his or her financial


Copyright © 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.