If you put a stop payment on a check because a dsipute over service delivered can the other party send the bill to collections or the police department without any investigation or recourse?

Did you receive the service? Did you sign an agreement? If so, you may want to check the fine print because there could be a clause for a remedy if you take such action. If you did not receive the service and there is no clause, you are well within your rights to stop payment.