Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
Answered 2009-07-28 20:14:38

No, the original crditor was removed because the account was sold to a third party collector. The entry will remain on the report for the required 7 years from the DLA.

You can dispute the collection agency entries as well. Often times if you have paid the debt, the collection agency will no longer keep records, thus be unable to prove the debt when you dispute it. They more than likely won't even respond, as they got their money and don't care anymore.


Your Answer

Related Questions

If the debt was properly assigned by the original creditor, yes. If you are making payments to the Original creditor than ask them to pull it back from there Collection agency, then dispute with the CRA's and when they update it should delete

Contact the original creditor. Provide proof of your payment. They need to retract the account from the collection agency. The account could have been sold to the collection agency or simply assigned to them. For your purposes, it does not matter which situation applies. You paid the original creditor and your credit report needs to reflect this. After they do what they need to do to get the account back; you then dispute the entries with all three credit bureaus. The original account should show as a paid collection and the other collection account should be removed from your credit report entirely.

Hard to say. Disputing the collection after you pay off the creditor could still come back as 'verified' from the credit bureaus simply because the collection did happen. If the collection agency does not respond to the credit bureau's query, then the entry will be removed.

Yes, the original creditor is not bound by the FDCPA. The collection agency must however inform the debtor that they have thirty days to request confirmation of the debt or to dispute same.

I assume this means removing it from the CR. In which case you can't. It may eventually be updated to show the original creditor has reassumed the account. However, it is still a debt owed and still reportable. If a collection account has "been returned" to the original creditor, then the collection agency would not be able to provide verfification of the debt should this be requested. You could write a letter of dispute to both the credit bureaus and to the collection agency requesting a verification of debt. If this were provided despite the fact that the account is no longer theirs to verify, that would constitute a violation of law. This is often the first step many consumers take in gathering evidence of willful non-compliance for lawsuits against collection agencies. So, even though it may happen, it would put the CA in a precarious situation.

There are 2 ways to remove a collection off your credit report. Either by the original creditor or by the credit bureau. The creditor will most likely not help you unless it was negotiated before you paid them off. You can dispute the debt to the credit bureaus and they must investigate it. If it isn't verified with in 30 days it will be removed from your credit report.

Send proof of payment to the original creditor and the information being reported against you by the collection agency. Request that they make sure the collection account is withdrawn and their original account is listed as paid. Upon receipt of that letter, send a dispute letter to the credit reporting agencies with your proof of payment. Follow up until your credit report is correct. updated entry: This is pretty good, but one problem is that neither the creditor nor the collection agency will be all that motivated to do anything since you have already paid the debt. But is really your only option at this point. Keep doing this over and over (every 2-3 months). I am always surprised, but sometimes things get removed on my 3rd or 4th time.

Yes a collection can ruin your credit report. Collections are similar to charge offs and will lower your score significantly all depending on the age of the collections and the amount owed. You can remove a collection by disputing it to the credit bureaus or by contacting the original creditor and working out a deal. Either way works well. You might have to hire a credit repair service if you decide to dispute it or have the money to settle the collection if you contact the creditor directly.

Your creditor should do it. If not, go to the credit reporting agencies and try a dispute. This is free. No subscription tricks.

You can write a letter of dispute to the collection agencies if that is who listed your credit account wrong. If it is a company, you can write a letter directly to their account or customer service department.

Here is some topics of what collection agencies can and cant doCollection Agencies can do:Inform the debtor the amount of the debt that was reported by the creditorCreditor's Name, a good collection agency will contact you in representation of their client.If you don't dispute the debt, after 30 days, the debt will be assumed valid to the collection agencyDisputing the debt to the debt collector (in the first 30-days) in full or partial, the collection agency will verify with the consumerA collection agency will provide name and address from the creditor to you after you dispute the debt in the period of 30 daysWhat Certified Collection Agencies don't do:Contact someone that doesn't own the debt like; relative, employer, neighbor, in some cases co-signers may be contacted by the collection agencyThreat Calls, harassment calls, threatening to harm your credit, garnishment or repossession or threatening the debtor with an arrest.Calls can be place between 8:00 AM to 9:00 PM, debtors time. Calls cant be at inconvenience places like at work.Using false information in order to collect the debtMost of this regulations are from the FDCPA, Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, for federal collection laws

Yes they can. The SOL being expired gives you a good basis upon which to dispute the entry and an affirmative defense to a lawsuit; but those won't prevent a collection agency from reporting a bad debt.

When the collection agency contacts you, they have to give you the opportunity to request information concerning the debt. You will have thirty days to send a written request to dispute the debt. And to ask for confirmation of the original creditor, the amount owed, when the account was remanded to the agency, etc.


Get a copy of all three credit reports, then dispute them. The credit reporting agencies will contact the creditors to verify. If the collection agencies do not report the items paid, you will need to contact the collection agencies individually, and provide them with proof of payment. Do this by certified mail, with a letter advising them to correct the records within 30 days. If they do not, you may have recourse thru the FTC under the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

As much as I hate to say it, as it makes more work for collection agencies, dispute inaccurate information with the bureau it is listed with. They require the reporting agencies to at least mark the information disputed. In addition to that, agencies must have proof of debt, and must respond to the bureau. Bureaus are a pain and they love the hold function on their phones, but are effective if you have the patience.

A charge off will stay on your credit report for 7 years unless removed by the original creditor or the credit bureaus. You can dispute a charge off with the credit bureaus and they must verify it with the original creditor with in 30 days or it must be removed from your credit report.

Only the original creditor or the credit bureaus can remove a charge off from a credit report. You can negotiate to have them removed with the original creditor if they will let you. You can also dispute it to the credit bureaus and they will have 30 days to verify the listing or it must be removed from your credit report.

Technically this should be very easy. Write a letter to the (3) credit reporting agencies stateing that this information is/may not be accurate. They will then request that the creditor verify the information. If the creditor does not respond in 30 days then the entry should be removed. That's the way the law is written, though some credit agencies will give more time to the creditors before removing.

First, call the creditor and ask them to correct it. Then, dispute the error with the 3 credit bureaus.

Ask the creditor to send you written verification of the debt including all of their documents after incurring the debt. If the cancellation of the debt is not indicated in their documents, then dispute the debt by providing your written notification of cancellation of the debt to the creditor and if unsuccessful, then dispute the debt with the credit bureaus who will initiate an investigation with the creditor and the credit bureau will usually repond to you in 30 days. If no response from the creditor then it will usually be deleted from your credit report. If the collection harassment continues then ignore it realizing that probably no legal action will be taken against you or you can contact an attorney to contact the creditor. Either pay the debt or file bankruptcy.

The credit bureaus and the original creditor that filed the judgment are the only ones that can remove it. You can contact the original creditor and try to negotiate removal of the judgment upon payment. You can also dispute the judgment to the credit bureaus and they have 30 days to verify the judgment or it must be removed from your credit report.

Depends on your states statute of limitations. If your state has a 7 year statute than no it can not. But they will try. If statute is not up yet but close to being up then you can ignore their phone calls and mail and let it expire. If you respond it will re-age the debt. However, collection agencies will sell your debt to another collection agency when the statute of limitations on the debt is about to expire. When they do this, the time clock starts all over again and there is a new 7 year time limit. As a side note, you can always dispute this debt on your credit report. The original creditor must verify the debt and has 30 days to do so. If it has passed from collection agency to collection agency, then chances are slim that they will be able to verify the debt. This will likely come off your credit report easily. The original creditor has already written off the debt as a tax write-off. Just keep in mind that if it is sold to another agency, then it can go back on your credit report for another 7 years.

A 3rd party creditor is the other party that is involved in a legal dispute between the offeror and the offeree. Creditors are typically referred to as collectors.

Apparently the dispute may not been handled properly. Your next dispute letter should go to both the credit bureau and original creditor at the same time stating damages. There are sample letters available for you in good books but you must understand the dispute process first. Most consumers cause themselves more damage by not understanding the credit challenge process.

Copyright ยฉ 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.