Is breathing in rubbing alcohol vapor harmful?
Asked in Chemistry
Where can you get rubbing alcohol in Melbourne i went to the chemist and asked the pharmacist and she had no idea what i was talking about and offered me vix vapor rub?
Asked in Chemistry
Does water have a higher vapor pressure than rubbing alcohol?
Asked in Skin Care, Chemistry, Rashes
Why does rubbing alcohol evaporate so quickly on your skin?
Asked in Science
What do alcohol and mercury change into when boiled?
Asked in Chemistry, Acids and Bases, Onions and Garlic
What causes the strong smell of rubbing alcohol?
Exactly what your nose responds to as a scent I cannot say, but the reason that some things seem to smell more or further away has much to do with how much of the substance is in the air that you are breathing. Everything has a vapor pressure at any temperature above absolute zero. Vapor pressure is a way of stating how quicklya substance will become a vapor and thereby become airborne. Alcohol has a relatively high vapor pressure at any "normal" temperature and therefore is relatively quickly added to the air when a container of it is opened. Its molecules also are movingrelativelyfast (which is what causes a higher vapor pressure in the first place)and that means that its smell will travel quickly throughout an area.
Asked in Science, School Subjects, Chemistry, Clouds
At what temperature will liquid alcohol change to vapor?
Asked in Organic Chemistry
Which has larger vapor pressure methanol or isopropyl alcohol?
Asked in Physics
Why alchol is preffered over mercury in thermometers?
Asked in Alcoholic Beverages
Is rubbing alcohol a harmful chemical?
Rubbing Alcohol Paraphrased from Wikipedia.org entries: Rubbing Alcohol is not necessarily a "harmful" chemical, but is one that should be used with caution, and as directed on the packaging1. Rubbing alcohol is sometimes consumed by those who cannot afford or cannot legally buy beverage alcohol (ethanol). The minimum age of 21 to purchase alcohol in the United States does not apply to rubbing alcohol. Rubbing alcohol products that contain methyl alcohol (methanol) can cause blindness, permanent disabling illness, or death when consumed1. Isopropyl alcohol may also be partly metabolized to acetone, which is toxic to the liver. Rubbing alcohol should be used in a well-ventilated area. Some cautions go so far as to say protective gloves should be worn while using it. Poisoning can occur from ingestion, inhalation, or absorption of rubbing alcohol1. Isopropyl alcohol vapor is heavier than air and is highly flammable with a very wide combustible range2. Mixing rubbing alcohol with pool chlorine can result in a Haloform reaction, generating lots of heat and boiling off its products as excess gas. If this chemical reaction is done inside a closed plastic container, the gas can build up until it ruptures violently. This can pose a serious risk of injury as the chemicals (such as bleach) and shrapnel from the container are thrown outward by the explosion1. 1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubbing_alcohol 2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopropyl_alcohol Rubbing alcohol when consumed in a large quanity causes your blood sugar levels to drop, which if severe enough could be fatal. Yes, if you drink it or smell it excessively. Using it to santize and clean up things is all right, however, don't spend too much time with it. If it is necessary to use this around the house, make sure to keep doors and windows open if possible! I am adding to the other answers. Do not drink or put in the eyes, which can cause blindness It is very strong fume and can literally take your breath away. Isocol rubbing alcohol is able to be used to clean make up brushes. Wash them with it thoroughly, flick dry away from your face. It will kill bacteria and be very clean. Isocol is from alcohol base and can kill bacteria on the skin can be used for drying up pimples. DO NOT PUT IT IN OR NEAR YOUR EYES!!!!!!!!If you do get any chemical in your eyes immediately get fresh running water to it for 15 minutes and contact the hospital emergency department. it depends. just use it for external use and whatever you do , don't swallow it, smell it, or get it in you eyes.
Asked in Science
When will liquid alcohol change to vapor?
Asked in Cleaning, Chemistry, Swine Flu (H1N1/09)
Is rubbing alcohol alright to boil?
Rubbing alcohol is flammable and has a low flash point. Not a good idea to get it around a heat source or open flame. It will evaporate on its own if you leave the bottle open. Got this from wiki Isopropyl alcohol vapor is more dense than air and is highly flammable with a very wide combustible range. It should be kept away from heat and open flame. When mixed with air or other oxidizers it can explode through deflagration. Isopropyl alcohol has also been reported to form explosive peroxides.[7
Asked in Science
What ozone friendly products can you use?
Anything that does not spray, does not release vapor / odor, does not require doing the same during its production, does not reduce the volume or lifespan of plant life, or does not burn / consume fossil fuels in its production is ozone friendly. While one is at it, one could stop breathing. Consumption of any physical product is automatically harmful to ozone, however necessary it is for modern civilization. Even water vapor is harmful to ozone...