The Algae won't hurt you. But if the chlorine isn't killing the algae, then other microorganisms might be present also. But then, we grew up swimming in ponds and streams. After shocking the pool, the algae will take longer to dissipate, so I'd let the kids in 24 hours after shocking, even if the water is green.
No it is not!!!!!! We just returned from a trip to Mexico and stayed at a high end Resort. The pool was beautiful but on three of the days there we saw algae in the pool. It was cleaned out with manual sweeping and I suppose chlorinated or shocked. When we got home I had this horrible itching that was unbearable. Nothing could be seen on the skin, but it was so intense I could not not stand it even to sleep. The doctor prescribed a cortisone cream and said it had caused a severe dermatitis that may lie dormant and will be activated by heat, hot water, and WAS caused by the unsanitary conditions that let the bacteria and such grow in this pool. Do not swim in algae filled pools
Is there a mycologist in the house???
Greetings! I read this letter and replies quite closely as Oregons Willamette valley gets hit with the worst algae outbreak in recent memory .
This is the first I've heard of algae causing dermatitis related problems. I remember coming out of streams and ponds covered with it down in S.C. Perhaps a strain that won't survive this far north?
Allergic reaction I could understand. But those are immuno-specific and tied to the patient, not the organism present in the pool.
But I am a lot more inclined to cast the questioning eye toward the sparkling water and filtration of the pool.
The definitive answer is "it depends."
Europeans swim in pools that have algae on the walls, yet also have a high ORP (oxidation reduction potential- as measured in millivolts of conductivity).
The high ORP is usually due to the use of ozone, which kills viruses, bacteria and pathogens, and oxidizes bather waste (urea - sweat, urine & cosmetics - suntan lotion, hair gels, cream rinse, etc.). The short half life of the ozone does not allow the ozone to remain in the vessel (pool/spa) long enough to kill the algae. Thus their pools are sanitary & safe to swim in (no pathogens and sparkling clear), yet they have algae.
The reader who got sick probably swam in a pool which had bacteria, viruses, and algae due to poor water chemistry maintenance.
The best piece of advice that I can recommend... carry your own pool water test strips when you travel, and perform a test before swimming. I do this when ever I travel, and especially when using a public spa/hot tub.
2 rules to remember:
Remember: Most water chemistry problems, eye irritation complaints, and murky water are a result of too little chlorine!
If it's a public pool and it's green, I wouldn't dip my finger in it. If it's your private pool, then it depends, I am not going to repeat the valid points above..
If you are a pool owner and looking for a solution to the algae problem, please check out my web site www.poolbutlerswimsafe.com
No. That would be a bad choice.
No,not really it will drown you over your upper-thiehs.
Yes. its just hard to stop from getting cloudy with algae.
no you cant
What we did was wait 12 hours to swim in the pool after applying chemicals of some sort into the pool.
It depends. Can you swim? If so, you can swim in a pool with slight algae stains on the side. Just like you can swim in a pool with MAJOR algae stains on the side. Or a lake. Or a river. Or a sewer pond. Or a toxic liquid waste dump. Or a pool of acid. The question you should be asking is "SHOULD you swim in a pool with slight algae stains on the side?" And you need to ask your doctor about that. Generally, I would say that a little bit of algae is not going to hurt you. I grew up swimming in creeks and lakes, which have plenty of algae, and it never made me sick. But you might have health issues that make you more susceptible to the harmful effects of algae. But, if you're worried about it, or even if you just think it looks gross, just clean the algae off the sides of your pool.
After your pool is clear again, test the Ph of the water. You can purchase a test kit at your local pool or home and garden supply store. When the Ph of the water is at a safe level, you can dive in.
i don't see the problem with swimming in a pool of algae i wound not swallow it thought! it may not be good for u
No, it is not.
its not safe because if lightning strikes the pool then you will get electrocuted and die
no its probably not safe to swim in cloudy pool water. reason number 1 is because you might not know how deep the pool water is and you could endanger yourself.
Aprroximately 45 minutes til' its ok to swim.
Wash with a small amount of color safe bleach.
Why would anyone do that?