Human Anatomy and Physiology
Is it true humans only use 10 percent of their brain?
Asked in Brain
Is it true that humans are only capable of using 10 percent of there brain?
Asked by Enos Reichel in Brain, Neurology
Is it true that we only use 10 percent of our brains?
Nope! Humans use their whole brains for a wide variety of functions. It’s unclear where this myth started, but it’s been proven false by numerous brain scans showing that the brain is in near-constant complete use. It is true, however, that only 10 percent of the cells in the brain are neurons; the other 90 percent are support cells called glial cells, but it’s not entirely clear what those are for. It’s also true that there are particular moments where you might only be using 10 percent of your brain, like if you’re sitting still and just daydreaming. But the idea that there’s 90 percent more intelligence tucked away in your grey matter somewhere, and if you could unlock it somehow you’d be the next Einstein—that’s a total myth.