What can you do if you do not agree to the terms of the divorce papers and cannot afford a lawyer?

The clerk of the court at your local courthouse should be able to direct you to legal aid services, which are legal services available to you at little or no cost. * Every US citizen has the right to represent his or herself (Pro Se) in a court of law. The contesting spouse only needs to appear at the hearing with evidence documenting the contested terms and present his or her case to the court.