answersLogoWhite

Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
Answered 2012-10-31 20:44:48

Iron replaced lead in water pipes.

001
๐Ÿ™
0
๐Ÿคจ
0
๐Ÿ˜ฎ
0
๐Ÿ˜‚
0
User Avatar

Your Answer

Related Questions


The lead will leach into the water and give you lead poisoning.


the pipes were old, rotten and corroded and should have been replaced years ago!


The Romans called it plumbum- which is where we got the word plumbing. We call the element lead.


Lead abatement refers to the treatment and/or removal of building materials containing ingestible lead which were commonly used until the mid-1970s when they were banned in the United States. Most commonly these include lead water pipes and lead-based paint. Typically, lead water pipes are replaced and lead-based paint is sealed and painted over.


I can't think you are talking drinking water pipes because anitfreeze is poisonous. Nor should you have lead pipes or lead solder in drinking water pipes. So either sleeve pipes or heating pipes then. Antifreeze has inhibitors designed to prevent corrosion.


The word plumber derives from the Latin word plumbum, meaning lead. Plumbing was originally done with lead pipes, although those are now considered to be obsolete, and are mostly replaced. Modern plumbing is done with copper, steel, or PVC pipes.


Lead free solder for potable water pipes


It can be... especially if it travels through lead pipes.


It does use the first letter, the first letter of its Latin name Plumba Its where word plumber comes because up to the 20th century water pipes were made from lead.


The lead leaches into the water and gets into our bodies. Eventually you get lead poisoning and die.


Lead was used for water pipes because it is cheaper, more malleable, and more flexible, and can be welded together easily. But it should not be used for water pipes of any kind because of the risk of water contamination. Metals such as copper are more expensive but superior in performance, and modern PVC is much lighter and easier to use for drainage pipes, and for pipes not carrying great pressure.


Lead is a naturally occurring element. It was known to ancients, and some lead pipes survive from Roman times.


Lead pipes were banned in 1969 because lead is poisonous, especially for the vulnerable (children, pregnant women and the elderly). But, many pre-1970s homes will still have lead pipes today and they have been used in the UK for drinking water for almost 2000 years. The lead content in water is significantly reduced by calcium deposits etc on the inside of pipes but many home owners prefer to replace lead with copper pipes when renovating.


Lead is toxic, especially to children. Small children may eat chips of lead-based paint, and lead from the pipes contaminates the water running through them.



it attcaks lead contained in pipes


Lead uses:- alloying element- material for pipes- ballast- radiation shielding- bullets- batteries- electrodesetc.


The main sources of lead poisoning remain the same: lead paint in homes prior to 1978a , and lead pipes in older homes. Lead paint can be painted over (watch the sanding) and water can be tested for lead concentrations, in which case plumbing can be replaced or a whole-house water filter installed (reverse osmosis would be best).


Because lead is hugely toxic, and can leach into the water, thereby poisoning whoever drinks it.



It used to come from the lead pipes through which it traveled to the tap (most victorian lead pipework is now replaced), but it may also come from the source rocks from which the water (groundwater) is extracted. Also when cars used "leaded" petrol, it came from the fumes produced by traffic.


Copper pipes are now most commonly used in plumbing. Lead pipes were used long ago, and the word plumbing is derived from the Latin word for lead (plumbum). Iron pipes were used until relatively inexpensive copper pipes became readily available during the twentieth century.


Lead is toxic to humans (causes brain damage) thus when using a solder to join copper water pipes it is best not to use a solder containing lead as this will get into the water passing through the pipes and slowly poison the user of this water.


Lead is poisonous if it enters the body, so Water pipes are made from other material now instead of lead. It's not as bad as people make out though if you still have some lead pipes, they are not as unsafe as some people believe.


Lead gets into the water system though old pipes. Older pipes were made of lead. Cities have been replacing them slowly. Older, larger cities such as New York are most at greatest risk because of the large amount of pipes to replace.



Copyright ยฉ 2021 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.