Home Electricity

What gauge wire is required for a 100A sub panel 84 feet from 200A main service?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2012-09-19 03:56:36
2012-09-19 03:56:36

NEC 310.16

#3 Thhn Copper


Related Questions

A 100 amp residential panel requires that you use AWG # 3 service entrance wire.

4 gauge AWG copper minimum. Use this:http://www.electrician.com/vd_calculator.htmlI found this invaluable when wiring our outbuildings. This one puts out the wire size:http://www.alternate-energy.net/voltlosscalc03.html

A #3 copper wire insulation rating of 90 degree is rated at 105 amps.

Yes. Five 20 amp breakers would be 100 amps. It doesn't work that way. The load placed on this box at any given time cannot exceed 100 amps. You can put as many breakers as it will hold.

The meter is typically installed in the main circuit panel of the house. If you want to move it, you can do it as part of a service / panel upgrade. We did this when we moved into our new house - we replaced the 1950s vintage main circuit panel and 100A service with a newer 200A panel and service. It was about a grand, but we didn't actually move the panel from where it was, so it may cost more for what you want.

A #1 aluminum wire with a insulation factor of 90 degrees C is rated at 105 amps. Three #1 wires can be installed into an 1 1/2" conduit.

A standard new installation panel these days is a 200 amp 42 circuit board. -- I am an Electrician. I'm not sure of your question. For most homes built in North America 100A (Amp) service panel is plenty big enough. If you are installing a garage with a work shop or other specialized higher power appliances you might want a 200A service panel. Just so you know that on a 100A service panel you could have a number of breakers that when you add the ratings for each breaker it adds up to more than 100Amps. This is normal as you never uses every circuit to its maximum rating at the same time. If you have electric heat, electric dryer, A/C, hot tub, pool, multiple TV's and a workshop with multiple piece of equipment running you might want to consider a 200A service panel.

It depends on a number of factors. The size of the service wires, the meter rating, the main breaker panel rating, etc. will have to be rated for the amperage you want to go up to.

The minimum size grounding conductor for a 100 amp service is a #8 bare copper wire.

Have an electrician wire you a proper line for the appliance. You were just kidding about the 100A, right? 10, or 20amp, not 100.

No, amperage is not additive, but a constant. Think of power as water, its always the same temperature, hot (amps). The pressure is variable (volts). The true answer is undoubtedly more complex, but you get the point. If you need to draw 200 amps you would actually need a 400 amp service because code states you cannot have more than an 80% load on a breaker That's an interesting question and I had to run the theory through my brain a few times to confirm my answer. The answer is if you have a 100A 240V service, you could draw what appears to be 200A from that panel at 120V. If you install 100A 120V single pole breakers on each side of the panel (in reality this would be many breakers but let's keep it simple) then both breakers will operate just fine, giving the appearance of 200A. In reality, however, one breaker actually feeds through to the other breaker. The neutral only carries the unbalanced load so in this hypothetical situation the neutral at the panel carries 0A. So the answer to the question is...if you install ONLY 120v single pole breakers, you can run up to 200A on those circuits (or 80% of that as we have discussed.) But you are only running 100A on each leg of the service conductors and breaker.

DO NOT FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW!According to this logic, one could chain an infinite number or sub-panels off of a single one hundred amp feed. The second law of thermodynamics prevents this. An hundred amp service is not capable of powering another hundred amp service unless you are trying to move your panel and all of the circuits it feeds as well, without adding another hundred amp load. NEC (National Electrcial Code NFPA Book 72) states that certain loads can be derated but not to this extent.As far as the voltage drop is concerned, you need only worry about this with runs of about two hundred and twenty five feet or more for a 200 Amp Service running 2/0 2/0 4/0 URD direct burial aluminum.What you need is a new 200 Amp service to feed your original 100A panel and another hundred amps to feed your new load.for USA, Canada and countries running a 60 Hertz supply service.Yes you can as long as the feeder to the other 100 amp panel is equal to the ampacity of the breaker. In this case you would need to use a #3 wire rated at 90 degrees C if the distance to the other panel is under 50 feet. If the distance is longer that this a voltage drop calculation would have to be added to increase the wire size. >My experience would lead me to believe that you could not install a breaker that was greater to or equal to the rating of the main breaker. To add a sub-panel, you will need to install a breaker that is half or lower than the main breaker.In your case, you have a 100A service; you will need to install a 50A or smaller breaker to service the sub panel.Consult an electrician if in doubt.If you have any doubts about an answer that you get, check the answerer's bio by clicking on their name to check their qualifications.Before you do any work yourself,on electrical circuits, equipment or appliances,always use a test meter to ensure the circuit is, in fact, de-energizedIF YOU ARE NOT REALLY SURE YOU CAN DO THIS JOBSAFELY AND COMPETENTLYREFER THIS WORK TO QUALIFIED PROFESSIONALS.

If it was preinstalled, it may have been adequate at the time of installation. It depends on the power requirements of the home. If this is a new install, the NEC has a minimum of 100A for service equipment. To be honest, I would install 200A minimum to allow for future expansion.

It is not in parallel. You put a breaker in existing panel and use that to feed the subpanel. The Amperage of this subfeed breaker should match the rating of the new panel. For example a 100A breaker might be typical. Remember that ground and neutral are only "bonded" at the main panel. Usually a subpanel has a means to separate the neutral and ground in a subpanel. Be careful since everything about doing this is dangerous.Another AnswerYes, you can have two breaker panels in parallel. If you had a 100 amp panel on a 200 amp service (or increase the size of the service, check with your power company on the size of your service, you could add a second 100 amp panel in parallel with the first. You can have up to 6 disconnects per service, but they must be located adjacent to each other or in the same enclosure. So either install the second panel beside the first or a 100 amp disconnect beside the first panel and feed out of the disconnect to the new panel located where you need it.

No because 100a-35 is an algebraic expression containing two terms.

That depends entirely on your service. Look at the meterbase to your house; if the shutoff says "100A", you have 100 Amp service. If the shutoff says "125A" you have 125 Amp service... you get the idea.

Power = Current x Voltage = 100A x 220V = 22000W

It is [ 100A ] percent.

Answer for USA, Canada and countries running a 60 Hertz supply service.Combined. A two-pole 100A breaker will draw 50A on each leg. A three-pole 100A breaker will draw 33A on each leg.>People have funny concepts about electricity , the above is totally false. A two pole 100A breaker will draw 100A on each leg. A three pole 100A breaker will draw 100A on each leg. The number that is marked on every breaker is the amperage that the breaker is designed to trip at. Sheer reason should tell you that if you wanted to protect a 240 volt load at 50 amps you would not install a breaker that has 100 amps marked on it.

You would have to ensure that the service entrance cable can support 100A. Depending where you are located, you should inquire of your electricity provider if you are equipped for 100A. It may also require a meter change out.

For a 120/240 volt sub panel at a full 100 amps at 600 feet you will need a 250MCM copper conductor. This conductor is rated at 265 amps with 90 degrees C insulation for normal distance installations.

I don't know anything about Minneapolis except that it's cold, but anything under 100 Amps is normally inadequate for an average home. Therefore, the service you mention is the bare minimum required for a home of less than 2,000 sf leaving little room for future consumption and the possibility of costs for upgrading to a larger service.

Copyright ยฉ 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.