Auto Insurance Claims
Transportation Accidents

What happens if im driving a friends car and you get in an accident?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2010-01-06 16:54:49
2010-01-06 16:54:49

Hopefully, both you and your friend have insurance. If you do, you call the insurance companies. If the other guy caused the accident, you let the insurance companies fight it out. Likewise, if just one has insurance, you call that company. On the other hand, if you caused the accident and both you and your friend have insurance, you call the insurance companies. If just one has insurance, you call that company. If neither you nor your friend have insurance and you caused the accident, you are in deep trouble. You could be out a lot of money. In either case, you only talk to the cops. You do not assume any blame even if you are at fault. You just give the facts. You can say the light was red when I entered the intersection. You have to tell the cop the facts or you can go to prison. Still, you do not say, "It was my fault." You do not assume blame. You do not make value judgements.


Related Questions

As long as she has the correct insurance that allows the car to lent to a friend then it should cover you.

If your child has a license the insurance on the car will probably cover it. The company can take the position that they were not supposed to be driving it and are not covered in which case it would come back to you because the child is underage.

You could be held liable for the accident since you were driving intoxicated.

they can file charges or leave it alone, depending on how nice they are,

typcially , ''insurance stays with the car'' meaning the insurance on the vehicle would be primary..........

If the person driving was given permission then all coverage should apply per the provisions of your particular policy.

As long as you have a license. The insurance follows the vehicle, not the driver.

Her friends brother; took a turn too quickly and car rolled. No alchohol was involved... just a sad, unfortunate accident.

The at-fault driver's insurance will pay for all property and bodily injury damages.

Auto Insurance follows the car not the driver. My son's girlfriend was driving his car when they where in an accident and his insurance was responsible.

My friend's mom's car had an accident while driving.

They will have to take the uninsured driver to court. Or if you have uninsured driver policy with your insurance, they will pay it.

Sure. If you have no valid license, you have no business driving a car at all. If you weren't driving illegally, you wouldn't have had the accident.

You run out of your car and check if the person's dead. If he isn't, drive your car away as fast as you can. If he is dead, drive your car away even faster.

Either that your partner was driving the other car or the partner was in your car.

Yes, and this pretty much always happens in such a situation. While the owner was not driving and may not have been anywhere near the accident, a theory of the action against the owner is that he/she should reasonably have know not to allow the driver to take the car.

He died in a car accident he was driving with his 2 friends. and him and another friend died and the other one survived.

They are at fault, even if that fault is shared jointly. That car is not supposed to be on the roadway, period. Therefore, it's assumed the accident would not have happened if that car hadn't been there. The driver will be cited for driving without insurance, and the car will be impounded.

Her insurance may state 'other drivers with the insured's permission' in which case her insurance would at least in part cover damage to other people/cars, but probably not to her own car. If her insurance does not have that clause, you are probably in trouble.

Then you where not covered. You are personally responsible for all damages you incurred unless the accident was not your fault. You should not have been driving a car without insurance. You now must pay for that mistake. Learn from it.

You will probably be cited for the misdemeanor of 12500 (a) vc, driving without a license, and have your car impounded regardless of if it was in an accident or who was at fault. Bottom line: no license, no car.

If you have insurance yourself you are insured to drive someones car. If you have an accident your insurance will cover it.

Copyright ยฉ 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.